Guest Network access issue on Apple Airport Extreme 802.11AC router and Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1
jestuh

I contacted Apple because I am not able to create any guest Network on my Airport Extreme because I was told that my modem needs to be simple.  Per Apple: "The Guest Network feature will not operate correctly unless your "main" AirPort Extreme is connected to a simple modem........not a modem/router (such as the  Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1) or gateway type of device that is often furnished by Internet Service Providers to their customers."

So is it possible to make this version of Actiontec a simple modem. Is this even possible or will I need a new modem?

NOTE: I disabled the wireless functionality of the actiontec. 

0 Likes
Re: Guest Network access issue on Apple Airport Extreme 802.11AC router and Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

You might be out of luck - See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2756170?searchText=guest

If you can't get it working, try using one of the older the Belkin wi-fi routers that offer the guest access feature (but those don't support 802.11 AC).

0 Likes
Re: Guest Network access issue on Apple Airport Extreme 802.11AC router and Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have FiOS TV ? You can completely bridge the ActionTec or take it out of the equation entirely if you don't have TV to worry about. Or, you can make the Apple router your primary and put the ActionTec behind it, with the trade-off that things like Remote DVR and Caller ID on TV won't work the best.

0 Likes