HELP CONNECTING UM175 WITH WIRELESS PRINTER
aljenn09

We purchased a new HP4500 wireless printer and for hours have tried to get it to connect to the UM175 internet card we have from Verizon. It keeps telling me I need the SSID and the Key Number. I have looked and looked, and the SSID nor the Key Number are anywhere. Please help me!! I am computer somewhat computer illerate, but no so much that I have not been able to get new software to work, until now. I am beginning to think the two of these are not compatible.Woman Sad

0 Likes
Re: HELP CONNECTING UM175 WITH WIRELESS PRINTER
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you're looking for the SSID and WEP key for the FiOS then take a look at your actiontec router.   if it's standing up right, then it will be a sticker on the left hand side,  if it's laying flat, then you gotta look underneath.  it's an actiontec sticker

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aljenn09 wrote:

We purchased a new HP4500 wireless printer and for hours have tried to get it to connect to the UM175 internet card we have from Verizon. It keeps telling me I need the SSID and the Key Number. I have looked and looked, and the SSID nor the Key Number are anywhere. Please help me!! I am computer somewhat computer illerate, but no so much that I have not been able to get new software to work, until now. I am beginning to think the two of these are not compatible.Woman Sad

Are you USING Fios??

It doesn't sound like it as the um175 is a 3g mobile broadband modem which I presume allows you to connect a device to the Verizon phone/broadband system..  Your Hp printer will want to connect to a wireless (wifi) router such as the one that Verizon would have provided you with if you were using Fios.  If in fact you are using Fios then the ssid etc. are as the previous poster stated, on the bottom of the Actiontec or Westell router that Verizon gave you.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aljenn09 wrote:

If you really are using an UM175 and you want to share the connection you need to plug it into a 3 or 4G router and then your wireless printer can use the ssid and wep/wpa key of that router.  Your other devices, presumably laptops, could then share the printer via their wireless connections to the same 3g router.  Looks a little expensive to me, cheapest I found was $150.  You may want to look at a different device called a Windy31 which can also share out a network connection.  Presumably you have the UM175 connected into a usb port on a machine.  You could connect a Windy31 to another usb port on the same machine to share the network connection wirelessly (54g) to up to 256 other devices.  Amazon sells the Windy31 for $45 though you see them on sale regularly for around $30.  The windy31 has a configurable security, wep/wap etc via the software embedded on the device.  I don't guarantee that it will work for your situation, never having tried it but would be interested to hear the result if you go that method.