HELP! No Internet, MOCA Light Blinking Red
cnwoko

I have recently moved into a new home and received my fios internet self install kit. I cannot get a blinking green light on my router for the Coax WAN. I went to check out the ONT and could not diagnos any issues. However, their was no coax connected to the MOCA outlet on the ONT, and the light was blinking red. Is there supposed to be a coax connection here? I have no reason to believe the previous family in the home unplugged it, or that a verizon technician would unplug it. Do technicians do anything to the ONT when a family moves out?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: HELP! No Internet, MOCA Light Blinking Red
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Internet can be delivered over Ethernet or coax.

If you have TV service, the ONT is usually configured to use coax.  So, yes, you would need to have the router connected to a coax network that is connected to the ONT.

If you ordered internet only service, it's possible the ONT is configured for Ethernet.  You can test this by plugging an Ethernet cable into the ONT's network jack and the router's WAN Ethernet port.  If it works, you're in business.

Verizon can tell you how your ONT is provisioned if you contact them (note this is a peer-to-peer forum).

As to why the coax is disconnected?  I'm afraid no one here can answer that.  A Verizon tech doesn't need to visit when service is shut down, so there is no way to know who removed the coax.  For that matter, we don't even know if it was connected before.  Better to worry about getting it working now than how it got that way.

You'll probably get useful help if you contact Verizon's support team.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: HELP! No Internet, MOCA Light Blinking Red
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Some of the very early ONTs (model 610, 611) only support cat5 connections to the router.  Those ONTs did not support MOCA.  If you have one of those early ONT's, then the previous user was connected via cat5 from the ONT to the router.

If the ONT has a red blinking MOCA light, then the ONT does support MOCA.  It's possible the previous user was connected via cat5 and the previous provisioning wasn't changed.

What speed tier do you have? 

If it's over 100Mbps, those speed tiers are only provisioned over cat5.

0 Likes