HELP: Orbi Setup in Router Mode with Verizon FiOS Gateway Router
lcarrero
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have an Orbi RBK50 set-up in AP Mode per the Verizon/Netgear Set-Up instructions. But, this removes the ability to set-up Parental Controls in the Orbi. Seems the Orbi set-up needs to be changed to Router Mode in order for that feature to work. The Parental Control options on the Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway Router are limited.

Can someone please provide instructions on how to set-up the Orbi in Router Mode?

Thank you,

0 Likes
Re: HELP: Orbi Setup in Router Mode with Verizon FiOS Gateway Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Follow these instructions and select Router radio button instead. Or a hard reset will take it back to factory settings and set it up as new. 

How do I configure my Orbi router to act as an access point? | Answer | NETGEAR Support
https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

0 Likes
lcarrero
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will this work without changing any other setting since Verizon and Netgear instructions are specific that AP Mode is the only setting that will work?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it will still work. The Orbi will create a new subnet so you will have a double NAT. This means you have two sets of private IPs. You might have issues with you FiOS TV app thinking your not on your home network. 

Others issues may include port forwarding, online games, and VPNs. If none of that applies to you then you should be fine. 

0 Likes
lcarrero
Enthusiast - Level 2

I only have FiOS Internet. TV is over the internet. I believe I may port forward my XBox IP address so the NAT is open. Maybe have something else, such as Plex port forward as well. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I read another article that said the following. Let me know your thoughts please and if you have a simpler way of explaining the setup:

1)Let’s say that you have a couple boxes with addresses like 192.168.1.220 and 192.168.1.226.

2) Restrict the range of IP addresses that are provided by the Fios router to encompass these devices. Let’s say you keep DHCP active, but limit the range to go from 192.168.1.200-255.

3) Then permanently assign the existing IP addresses to the Fios devices by giving them static addresses in the Fios router.

4) Finally, put the Orbi into router mode, and similarly restrict its DHCP range from 192.168.1.1-199.

0 Likes
OohEeeOohAhAh

lcarrero - did this work for you?

0 Likes