Hard Router Reset
HaraldWho
Enthusiast - Level 2

What router settings return to defaults when the router is reset with the reset control on the back? I need to reset the encryption type and password: I'm having problems with WEP2/PSK.

HaraldWho

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hard Router Reset
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@HaraldWho wrote:

What router settings return to defaults when the router is reset with the reset control on the back? I need to reset the encryption type and password: I'm having problems with WEP2/PSK.

HaraldWho

The router will reset to the settings Verizon programmed into it when you recieved it.

So the SSID will reset to the one listed on the sticker on the side of the router

The WEP key will be back to 64bit Wep Hex.  Also located on the sticker on the side of the router.

Any and All personalized settings (DMZ, port forwarding, parental controls, etc) will all be reset

Username and password for the router will be reset to    ADMIN / password

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@HaraldWho wrote:

HaraldWho

The router will reset to the settings Verizon programmed into it when you recieved it.

So the SSID will reset to the one listed on the sticker on the side of the router

The WEP key will be back to 64bit Wep Hex.  Also located on the sticker on the side of the router.

Any and All personalized settings (DMZ, port forwarding, parental controls, etc) will all be reset

Username and password for the router will be reset to    ADMIN / password

HaraldWho
Enthusiast - Level 2

@spacedebris wrote:

Clear and to the point. Just what I needed. Thank you.

HaraldWho

0 Likes
ispy99

Just a follow up to this thread.  I have been having a very difficult time getting connected through the router to the internet.  All computers connect to the router but none can get out.  I tried loggin on to the router, but got that annoying multiple asterik thing.  The password the tech gave me didn't work, but I noticed in this thread one of the responders wrote admin in caps,  "ADMIN".  Is that correct?  It would be really useful to have a pamphlet listing this stuff, rather than depending on the hand written note the tech scribbled on a piece of cardboard...  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ispy99 wrote:

Just a follow up to this thread.  I have been having a very difficult time getting connected through the router to the internet.  All computers connect to the router but none can get out.  I tried loggin on to the router, but got that annoying multiple asterik thing.  The password the tech gave me didn't work, but I noticed in this thread one of the responders wrote admin in caps,  "ADMIN".  Is that correct?  It would be really useful to have a pamphlet listing this stuff, rather than depending on the hand written note the tech scribbled on a piece of cardboard...  Thanks in advance.

Just reset the router then when you try to logon the userid will be admin (it's not case sensitive) and you can choose any password you like (remember it).

0 Likes
ispy99

@viafax999 wrote:

Just reset the router then when you try to logon the userid will be admin (it's not case sensitive) and you can choose any password you like (remember it).

Two questions, 1) to be sure I reset the router correctly, I held the reset button for about 10 seconds while the router was on, is that the correct procedure?, and 2) is there no password for admin when you reset, just leave it blank?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

ispy99 wrote: 

Two questions, 1) to be sure I reset the router correctly, I held the reset button for about 10 seconds while the router was on, is that the correct procedure?, and 2) is there no password for admin when you reset, just leave it blank?

1) Hold in the reset button until all the lights on the router go out.

2) After a hard reset, you will be presented with a screen to set the user name and password.  You can not access any other router pages until you do so.

0 Likes
ispy99

All,

Thanks for all the great information and help.  I called the Verizon help desk and after getting hung up on once, walked through the troubleshooting to find that I had a bad router.  It couldn't bind to an IP address.  A new one is on the way.

Thanks!

0 Likes