Have 100/100 want to upgrade 150/150. Can I use coax?
Robostock
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm scheduled to be upgraded to 150/150 from 100/100 and have been looking for the answer but haven't found a definitive answer.

I currently have the 100/100, with TiVo and a Tivo Mini. I signed up for 150/150 and would like to keep it on coax instead of ethernet, which really isn't an option. For Verizon equipment I have:

G1100 Router

GPON ONT

Also, I have a Tivo Bolt and a Tivo Mini using Moca. Will they continue to work?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Have 100/100 want to upgrade 150/150. Can I use coax?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax for 150 mbps is definitely not an option. Literally nothing will change. Coax will all stay the same still connected to router and TiVo devices. TiVo ethernet ports will connect to the LAN ports of your G1100 or your switch. 

The only thing that will change is the tech will run and cat5e or cat6 to the G1100. Done. Nothing on your LAN or or anything other connections need to be touched. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it 100% has to be on ethernet for 150 mbps. In your case the only change to be made is running an ethernet from the ONT to WAN port of the router. Tivo will still work because the coax still needs to be connected to G1100 for the moca connection.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Robostock wrote:

I'm scheduled to be upgraded to 150/150 from 100/100 and have been looking for the answer but haven't found a definitive answer.

I currently have the 100/100, with TiVo and a Tivo Mini. I signed up for 150/150 and would like to keep it on coax instead of ethernet, which really isn't an option. For Verizon equipment I have:

G1100 Router

GPON ONT

Also, I have a Tivo Bolt and a Tivo Mini using Moca. Will they continue to work?

Thank you.

The new installs over 100/100 are done as ethernet. Now even though they may say it has to be done their way it may be possible to leave well enough alone.

however Verizon may deem it better to upgrade to ethernet.

0 Likes
Robostock
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your quick response. That would be great if my TiVo setup would not be affected. Do you think the Ethernet port on back of the TiVo Bolt would still work? Currently it's connected to a 5 port switch with multiple devices connected.

So, the newbie question being, can the ONT do ethernet on both the coax and ethernet port? Since TiVo needs the ethernet to connect to the mothership for guide data, do I have to connect both the coax and WAN (from the G1100) or can I get by with the coax on both the Tivo Bolt and Mini.

0 Likes
Robostock
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm hoping that since I the house isn't wired for it and it would be difficult to do so, I hope that using coax for 150 is an option, otherwise I'll stick with coax.

Second thought was for ethernet to the G1100 and then set up a mesh network?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax for 150 mbps is definitely not an option. Literally nothing will change. Coax will all stay the same still connected to router and TiVo devices. TiVo ethernet ports will connect to the LAN ports of your G1100 or your switch. 

The only thing that will change is the tech will run and cat5e or cat6 to the G1100. Done. Nothing on your LAN or or anything other connections need to be touched.