Have to keep restarting ONT to fix internet
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK for the past 2-3 months, at least once a week, I lose internet connection.  My TV and Phone are working fine.  It always happens over night, becuase when I wake up in the monring I have no connection.

The only way to fix it is, I call up verizon and they remotely restart my ONT or when they test diagnosttic it works.  They have since replaced my router, which is an Actiontec Rev F, and replaced my ONT.

I am using ethernet to the ONT, and that is because when I was using coaxaial, I had all sorts of issues with pixellation with VOD.  They switched it to ethernet and never had an issue.

I am waiting for FIOS support to get back to me, but it can't be anything at my house correct?  I mean they replaced router and ONT?

Should I try getting my own router since I do have ethernet connection?  I don't think that is it, since I have to restart ONT, but I am desparate to fix it.

Luckily I finally learned how to take battery out and can restart ONT, but I still should not have to do this.

Anyone else seen this and have any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Have to keep restarting ONT to fix internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When your services are out, is the ONT's Fail light lit up Red/Flashing Red? Is the Network light by any chance out during the outages? I'm assuming Verizon checked the Fiber itself to make sure the signal coming into it is clean and they have checked the OLT to ensure it isn't malfunctioning at certain times, but it's worth pointing those out.

Do any of your neighbors see similar issues?

0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not gone outside and opened up the ONT.  I guess next time it happens I will make sure to open to check.

Today I got home and 8 hours later still out....call up support..as soon as they start to check my ONT to see what going on, I get the internet connection back.  I don't get that?

They said they asked network team, and they did a trace and see there is an issue between the CO and my ONT.  thye also checked the neighbor who are on FIOS and plugged into same area I guess, and they said all fine.

So they sending out another technician to clean fiber at ONT and the telphone pole.  But I know technicain will come out and say that not it...and probably will not go up the pole to do it..

Maybe I am wrong..But i have had 10 FIOS techs come out here over past months...and they all say the same thing..it nothing at my house but something at CO

It is so frustrating.

tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok it happened again over night, i woke up this morning no internet connetion, always happens overnight too, this time I went outside and opened the ONT and here is what I saw;

Power - Green
Batt - Green
Network - Green
Mgmt - Green
10/100 - Green
Link - Orange (steady)

Pots - no light
fail - no light
video - no light
data - no light
moca - no light

After The ONT was restarted and internet was back on, only difference I saw was Data light was green, and Link light was blinking.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

What happens if you powercycle the router?

0 Likes
tannor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So this problem is still happening...I have a feeling Verizon will never ever solve this..I must have had 20 techs come to my house over the past few months..and they changed the ONT i think 10 times now.

It seems to go in spurts, it happens like 3 or 4 days in a row, and then is good for a few weeks..

It if i power cycle router, does not fix it, still says waiting for DHCP lease in the router status.

Only fix is to restart ONT

They supposedly changed a PON card in the central office, whatever that means

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

My first SWAG was that this was a DHCP lease issue.  You 'lease' the connection (IP) from VZ for a set-length of time.  At the end of the lease (like 24 hours), it expires.  The router is supposed to ask for a new lease. Sometimes this can fail and you are left disconnected. Recyling the router should cure it when it starts over.

Are there any logs in the router when this occurs?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it were a DHCP issue, the Link light on the ONT I don't think would be lit orange. For what I know about the ONTs, the link light should remain green, whereas the router should show an orange/amber colored light if it is unable to get a DHCP lease for the Internet light. Verizon's 2 (or 4?) hour DHCP leases should be automatically renewed at the half way point, so perhaps a check of the log is in order to see if it's failing renew before the connection actually goes down, or if it is just falling flat on it's face from the get go.

0 Likes
ckat1

do you still experience the intermittant issue with your internet/?  just got fios myself and i am experiencing the same.  what did you do to fix it if it's gone?  thanks!

0 Likes
JDMAC1

I too am having the same experience and it is a new one that has started about a month ago.  We had a tech replace the ONT last Friday and one is coming tomorrow to try to deal with it again... somewhat concerning that there are multiple unaddressed posts in the forums here with unresolved similar situations.

Any ideas Verizon?  Something must have changed in the last couple months for this to be happening?

0 Likes