Have you been getting timeouts and other weird connection issues lately?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Have you been getting timeouts and other weird connection issues lately?

Message 1 of 9
(1,984 Views)

Internet connection has become a bit wonky as of late, have you been experiencing some or all of the following symptons?

1) Most internet speed test sites just stop before completing as if they have timed out (i.e. speedtest.net).

2) Sites will start loading quickly but then sometimes randomly stop and have to be manually refreshed.

3) Downloads will randomly stop downloading for some moments before resuming (particularly from Steam)

4) Tracert to some websites that were causing issues show timeouts on peering with Alter.net servers.

Looks like there are some issues between Verizon and Alter.net (formerly MCI, now Verizon owned) in NY.... Any word on when we can expect a resolution? This is quite frustrating as it affects a good amount of traffic.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Have you been getting timeouts and other weird connection issues lately?

Message 2 of 9
(1,982 Views)

By the way, if anybody needs a temporary fix for these issues, try connecting through a vpn that doesn't peer through alter.net.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 3 of 9
(1,973 Views)

We are having no problems!

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 9
(1,944 Views)

@msansnom: I have exactly the same kind of problems. Also youtube usually needs minutes before it starts streaming a video, and/or will interrupt after some minutes of streaming. 

Some website I access daily, I cannot open them anymore. 

I cannot even open speedtest.verizon.net!

I'm located in Long Island City... where are you?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 5 of 9
(1,936 Views)

I'm a little further east than you out here on Long Island, Touyats, but I've seen none of the issues you or the Original Poster here are experiencing.

Assuming you're having the problems on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable (WiFi opens up an entire range of other possible problems) you might try getting your router assigned a new WAN IP address. 

If you want to give that a try, see this post for the steps involved:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-am-I-able-to-change-my-ip-address/m-p/703336#M47733

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 6 of 9
(1,881 Views)

yes, and i live in florida. regularly websites will just sit there loading forever, but if refreshed will load instantly. sometimes it will just say connection timed out.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 7 of 9
(1,840 Views)

Yup, I have the download problem. I went to Speedtest.net and to my surprise, the tests failed and timed out. Some sites do time out and I have to refresh the page in order to work again. At the moment, I have Hotspot Shield installed which is a VPN and currently, I am not getting any issues. I live in NY. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 9
(1,805 Views)

I'm also in NY.

I've seen the issue fix itself and then unfix itself over the past couple of days. I guess Verizon is aware of the issue and is somehow trying to fix it, so all we can realy do is sit and wait :(.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 9 of 9
(1,798 Views)

I am in Long Island City and I have the WORST internet EVER!!! I pay doube the amount of RCN for the same speed 50 mbps and my connection is ALWAYS going down and service is sooooooo slow!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.