Having issues connecting using WPA on my FIOS Router
dross333

HI, I am unable to get my laptop to connect using WPA.  I have no issues with WEP, but no luck with WPA.  I have read other forums that many people have had similar issues. My FIOS router is a Actiontec MI424WR router.

Are there any work arounds that others may know of?

Thanks

David

0 Likes
Re: Having issues connecting using WPA on my FIOS Router
Justin46
Legend

@dross333 wrote:

HI, I am unable to get my laptop to connect using WPA.  I have no issues with WEP, but no luck with WPA.  I have read other forums that many people have had similar issues. My FIOS router is a Actiontec MI424WR router.

Are there any work arounds that others may know of?

Thanks

David

David, 

I can't provide any workaround because I have been using WPA with my Actiontec from the day I got it, without any problems, FWIW, I never, ever connected wirelessly to it with WEP.

Some questions:

1) What revison level of the Actiontec do you have? Mine is D.

2) Are you sure your laptop supports WPA? I think all do now, but older ones and older wireless cards may not.

3) Are you able to setup WPA in the router, or is that where you are having problems?

4) Assuming you get WPA setup OK on the router, what happens when you try to connect? Error message on your laptop? What message?

5) Anything else you can think of to tell us about the failure that might help someone here identify the problem?

Keller, TX

0 Likes
dross333

Justin, 

1) What revison level of the Actiontec do you have? Mine is D.

?

Current firmware is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7 Hardware version A.  How do I get D

2) Are you sure your laptop supports WPA? I think all do now, but older ones and older wireless cards may not.

The laptop is only a few weeks old.  a Lenovo T500.

3) Are you able to setup WPA in the router, or is that where you are having problems?

I can setup WPA on the router.  When I try to connect, I get authentication error.  However, I know I am entering the correct info.

4) Assuming you get WPA setup OK on the router, what happens when you try to connect? Error message on your laptop? What message?

5) Anything else you can think of to tell us about the failure that might help someone here identify the problem?

The other day, I was able to get WPA to work for about 10 minutes, but it then disconnected and I have not been able to get it to work again.

Based on the revision number, should I contact veriazon about an upgrade.?

Thanks

David

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Hi David,

It seems you have covered all of the bases.

I don't know what differences there are between the earlier revisions, like A, and the D version I have. But I have seen posts where people have had some problems with A that were supposedly fixed in later levels (I really have no idea what kind of problems, I have had FiOS internet for 3 1/2 years, but have had my Actiontec only about 5-6 months, and only the D model). Certainly though it could not hurt to try to get a later revision level, couldn't work any worse I guess.

I know before asking that this is a stupid question, but are you sure it is your network you are trying to connect to? Depending on where you live (apt, townhouse, etc) there can be a lot of networks within range, and unless you customize the SSID it can be confusing which network is which. My laptop, and I assume yours, lets me view all of the networks within range, and see what kind of encryption they are using.

One thing you might try is to change the channel that the Actiontec is using. Many people seem to have connectivity problems with it set to Auto, you might try a specific channel, or a different specific channel if you are using one, especially if you view the other networks in your area and they are all or mostly using the same channels.

That is strange that you were able to connect once, and now cannot. Have you tried changing the Pre-Shared Key, or maybe going back and restarting the WPA definition process on the router from the beginning? Maybe somehow the definitions got corrupted and if you start over it will work. I think I might go back to WPA and make sure that still works, and then start the WPA definition process again. 

And last resort, at least for me, use the Rest button to set the router back to the default settings and start over. Not too much extra work unless you have done a lot of customization. 

Obviously, I don't know the solution. Sorry, wish I could help. I just set mine up the day I got the router, did a little customization like setting up WPA, and it has worked for 5 or 6 months, no issues other than I recently discovered I could no longer do file sharing, I think it started when I got the Actiontec but I am not sure, I rarely use it.

Keller, TX

Message Edited by Justin on 12-16-2008 08:53 PM
0 Likes
dross333

Hi Justin, I appreciate you taking the time to respond with suggestions.

The SSID is correct as I changed the name.

I have contacted verizon and they confirmed that Rev D does have better wireless capabilities. 
But I was shocked to hear that I would need to purchase this.  When I asked them to help figure what is wrong with the WPA, the rep responded that they do not support WPA, they only support WEP.  This is ridiculous.  I have a Belkin wireless router home.  I am just going to configure that and use that instead. 

Thanks again

David

Message Edited by dross333 on 12-17-2008 07:12 AM
Message Edited by dross333 on 12-17-2008 07:16 AM
0 Likes