Help? Can I change my WEP key on my router?
Emma816

Hi All...

I'm a newbie to these forums and I have a question... Can I change my WEP key on my FiOS wireless router?  (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D)

My neighbor, who also watches our dog when we go on holiday, has been using my internet from his house.  He freely admitted this.  My FiOS is much faster than his throttled Comcast and since he's a power user (torrents) he frequently uses my internet connection for all his massive downloads.  His usage knocks me off PS3 and noticeably slows my internet speeds down.

I know he has my IP and WEP since he spends weeks at a time in my house.  I'd like to change my WEP key and keep it hidden from him.  

How can I kick him off and prevent him from hopping back on?

Thanks in advance.

Emma

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help? Can I change my WEP key on my router?
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, you can.  Without getting into the issues wit your neighbor, which is crazy that he can connect faster from your connection next door than his own is ridiculous.

Username: admin

Password: Use the serial number on the bottom of your wireless gateway.

After logging in click on 'Wireless Settings" icon.

Click on 'Basic Security Settings'

Before you move on to creating a new WEP key be sure to write it down and keep it in a safe place

Go to

5.Select a WEP Key 

NOTE: - To create a 64/40 WEP Hex Key, you need to enter a combination of 10 digits. You can choose any letter from A-F or any number from 0-9. Sample HEX WEP Key: 0FB310FF28.

- To create a 64/40 WEP ASCII, you need to enter a combination of 5 ASCII characters. Sample ASCII WEP Key: hello.

- When finished this click 'Apply' and wait for it to save.  Then you can close your browser window and you're all set. 

View solution in original post

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, you can.  Without getting into the issues wit your neighbor, which is crazy that he can connect faster from your connection next door than his own is ridiculous.

Username: admin

Password: Use the serial number on the bottom of your wireless gateway.

After logging in click on 'Wireless Settings" icon.

Click on 'Basic Security Settings'

Before you move on to creating a new WEP key be sure to write it down and keep it in a safe place

Go to

5.Select a WEP Key 

NOTE: - To create a 64/40 WEP Hex Key, you need to enter a combination of 10 digits. You can choose any letter from A-F or any number from 0-9. Sample HEX WEP Key: 0FB310FF28.

- To create a 64/40 WEP ASCII, you need to enter a combination of 5 ASCII characters. Sample ASCII WEP Key: hello.

- When finished this click 'Apply' and wait for it to save.  Then you can close your browser window and you're all set. 

Justin46
Legend

My suggestion would be to go further, change the encryption from WEP to at least WPA, and WPA2 would be better. The Verizon routers support this, except maybe the Actiontec Rev. A, and if your wireless PC is reasonably recent, it will also (probably should check first). Go into the router, turn off WEP and turn on WPA or WPA2, enter a fairly long key of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters, and save it, connect once wirelessly and enter the new key into your PC, write the key down and put it in a safe where he can't get to it,  and you are set.

The reason I suggest this is that breaking the WEP key is apparently very easy now, with the right software a matter of seconds; if he is determined to use your wireless he can do it if you use WEP. WPA2 will be very difficult if not impossible for him to break.

Just y $.02 worth.

Keller, TX 76248

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could look in your router and see what mac address is on his connection then block that in the fw rules.

Still change to wpa2 though

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well... theft of services issues aside since what your neighbor is doing is illegal ...

I agree with Justin.   Go with a WPA2 connection and use a reasonably long and complex password.    I'd change the SSID as well although that's not absolutely required.   Also make sure you change the userid/password on the router as well in case they know it.   Don't get wrapped up in hiding the SSID or turning on Mac authentication -- while they don't necessarily hurt, they don't add anything appreciable to the equation and just make your own life more difficult.

Now ... I'm going ask, are you even using the the wireless at all?  Perhaps you are using a hardwired PC to the router and really don't need the wireless?  If so, just go into the router and turn the wireless off. Your neighbor can't steal what isn't there.

Oh ... and it might be time to get the key back and find a new dog sitter.  Smiley Wink

Justin46
Legend

One issue I think we have all somewhat forgotten is that, since he has access to the house and thus physical access to the router, he can always use the Reset button on the router to set it back to factory defaults. I think the only real and complete solution is:

1) Do the changes to WPA2, etc.

2) Every time you leave and he has free access to the house, power off the router, disconnect it, and store it in a safe (to which he does NOT have the combination) or take it offsite somewhere. Or do what Lasagna said and get the key back (and maybe to be sure, in case he has made a duplicate, change the locks on the house).

Otherwise, if he really wants, every time you go away and he comes in he can reset the router to factory defaults and use it. While that may not be an issue interferring with your PS3 or whatever while you are away, you will need to reconfigure the router every time you come home, and with a different key as he can go in and see the key before he resets the router.

Interesting problem..... 

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

justin hit it on the head. Changing the key is a moot point if he has physical access to it. Hitting the reset button on the router undoes any changes that you do. The only thing you can do is change it and keep him off when you are there. But when you are not and he has access, he will get connection back. That is until you get back again and change it again. Best thing to do is change it, then take the router with you when you leave, and then reconnect it when you get back.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

At least with the change to WPA2 and a change of the password on the router, you will know if someone's been tampering with the router since it will revert to the default settings and WEP key.

I think that part is pretty easy ... "Hey neighbor, thanks for watching my dog, but my router and network are private property and you need to leave your hands off.  I've changed the passwords and they are not for your use."  You might want to put a password on your computer while you're at it since you can get the WPA key that way as well.  If he can't abide by those rules, then seriously, you need to be getting someone else to take care of those pet sitting duties for you because who knows what else they might be stealing while you're not around.  

0 Likes
Emma816

Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate all your advice. I switched my WEP key for now as it was the first suggestion.  I'm not sure all my devices allow for the WPA2 switch but I will look into that if I have to.

I do everything through wireless.  The only devices directly linked are the coax STB's.  My daughter's laptop is an older Dell laptop, I have a new Macbook Pro, a wireless HP printer and my husband a year old Toshiba laptop as well as the PS3 and a few iTouches.

I have talked to my neighbor about staying off my internet.  He knows I hate it but Comcast is throttling his uploads and limiting his downloads to 30GB's per month and his speeds are ridiculously slow compared to my 50/20 package.  I think I persuaded him to switch to Verizon internet just for his personal use.  (His parents won't leave Comcast because of the international TV services they offer).  He knows his usage kicks my son off PS3 and told me to text him and he'll shut his torrents off.... hardly helpful if he's not home.

I think changing the WEP alone is sending the message loud and clear.  He really is a great guy and I feel sorry for him.  Comcast sucks for limiting their internet and his speeds can't compare to FiOS.  I'm pretty sure he'll be calling Verizon and getting a FiOS line directly into his bedroom.

I'm already shopping for a new dog sitter and have no travel plans in the very near future.

Thanks to everyone for the concern and all the great advice.

Emma

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

have talked to my neighbor about staying off my internet.  He knows I hate it but Comcast is throttling his uploads and limiting his downloads to 30GB's per month and his speeds are ridiculously slow compared to my 50/20 package.  I think I persuaded him to switch to Verizon internet just for his personal use.  (His parents won't leave Comcast because of the international TV services they offer).  He knows his usage kicks my son off PS3 and told me to text him and he'll shut his torrents off.... hardly helpful if he's not home.

You should consider that Comcast are probably doing this because of his execessive usage and the same or worse may happen to you from Verizon.  Your TOS states that you are not meant to run a server on the connection and basically p2p torrents are both servers and receivers.  Also most of the stuff in torrents tend to be illegal file sharing which opens you up to possible legal issues.