Help: Cannot Log In to Router Config Page
ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I type in http://192.168.1.1/, the router log in page appears. I can type in my user name fine, but not my password. When I try typing the password, multiple characters appear (black dots in this case, of course) for every one key that I strike while trying to spell out my password. I need to get into my router's settings. Is there a fix? This problem occurs in Chrome as well as Firefox and it's maddening.

Thanks very much.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help: Cannot Log In to Router Config Page
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ksternberg wrote:

When I try typing the password, multiple characters appear (black dots in this case, of course) for every one key that I strike while trying to spell out my password

That is supposed to be a security feature.  Just ignore the multiple characters.

If you've forgotten the router password, do a hard reset on the router.  You will be prompted to enter a new user name and password.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ksternberg wrote:

When I try typing the password, multiple characters appear (black dots in this case, of course) for every one key that I strike while trying to spell out my password

That is supposed to be a security feature.  Just ignore the multiple characters.

If you've forgotten the router password, do a hard reset on the router.  You will be prompted to enter a new user name and password.

ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uh, ok. If this is a security feature, it's working. How am I supposed to type in my password? I mean my own self-created Verizon account password, not the router's default password? With all the extra characters being added (about three for every one that I type in), it's impossible to input the correct password. This is just really a PITA.

Thanks very much.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ksternberg wrote:

Uh, ok. If this is a security feature, it's working. How am I supposed to type in my password? I mean my own self-created Verizon account password, not the router's default password? With all the extra characters being added (about three for every one that I type in), it's impossible to input the correct password. This is just really a PITA.

Thanks very much.

It is not "adding" the extra characters, it is just displaying something that is not added or stored. Just don't look at the screen, type what you want, and it will be stored correctly.

If you will search here in the Forums you will find plenty of threads about this, Verizon has confused lots of customers with this "security feature."

Keller, TX 76248

ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I still can't log in. When I type in my Verizon account user name and password, I get the "log in failed" message. I really do not know what would solve this. Verizon just sucks as far as understanding and addressing user experience. 

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You don't logon to the router with your Verizon id and password.

You logon with a router admin id and password.  The normal defaults for these are

ID                     ADMIN

PASSWORD  serial number of your router

Until a few years ago they were setting them up with a password of either "PASSWORD" or "PASSWORD1"

If you reset the router (little hidden button on back of router) it should go back to the value of "PASSWORD" and/or ask you to choice a id and password.

ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried typing in Admin as user name and serial number of the router. Still log in failure. I'd rather not reset the router and lose all my other settings.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Case counts.   The id should be 'admin"

I believe the password is in upper case.  my id and password are changed so I can't check.

Justin46
Legend

@ksternberg wrote:

Tried typing in Admin as user name and serial number of the router. Still log in failure. I'd rather not reset the router and lose all my other settings.

What other settings? From the way you appear to not know anything about logging into the router, it appears that you have never done so, and thus have never changed any settings in the router. If that is true, there are no settings that you will lose by resetting the router, the router works just fine for a "normal" FiOS TV/internet/phone installation as delivered, out of the box, without any changes. Now lots of people want to change settings like their login name and password, network name, or the encryption type, to one of their own choosing, and there are other settings that some people want to make, like forwarding ports. But if you have never logged into the router and made changes yourself, none of that applies here.

Honestly, you are making this much more difficult than it should be. Just type in what you have already been told to type in: "admin" and the router serial number. As I said earlier, if you search the forums you will find (would have found) plenty of information on how to log in to the router. 

Keller, TX 76248

ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the assumption, Justin. I've reset the router a few times. Each time, the default name and password worked a couple of times, then reverted to the situation I'm in now.

{please keep your posts courteous} it appears that Verizon has not done any end user experience testing for this small, but important, aspect of router management.

[ Oh, alright.]

Things wil be o.k. even without accessing my router.

I realize this is a relatively tiny thing, but typing Admin, admin, ADMIN or AdMiN plus the serial number does not log me in.

It appears that it's not something on my end, which leads me to believe it is on Verizon's side of the fence.

Thanks all!

0 Likes