Help: MAC Filtering Issue: FIOS and Wireless HP Photosmart D110 Not Connecting
halexd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, In trying to connect a HP Photosmart D110 wireless printer to the FIOS Actiontec M1424-WR Rev. C router, I am getting a diagnotic error message from the HP Printer that "No Filtering" FAIL and that the MAC address filtering may be enabled and blocking the connection. I was able to sign in to the router and the MAC filtering is off. I have the MAC address of the printer, do you know how I add it to the router? Or how do I overcome this issue and connect?

Many thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help: MAC Filtering Issue: FIOS and Wireless HP Photosmart D110 Not Connecting
halexd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, with the terrific assistance of a Verizon tech support gentleman, we were able to get this to work without an extra router.

-Turned off WEP security and connected the printer  MAC filtering issue goes away

-Here's a step neither HP nor Apple told me, found by accident: iPAD approved HP printers have a feature called ePrint. You must go out to the HP ePrint center and register your printer and activate the Web Services feature on the printer.

-Go back into router and turn on WEP security

-reconnect printer and IPAD....if you run into a problem with the printer connecting,

-reset the router back to original factory settings...(red button on back of router, with paper clip,hold for 30 secs)

-if needed,reconnect theiPAD and printer to router

-you may need to redo the Web Services feature on printer again. I did, but it only takes a few moments.

And it worked....iPad and Printer are talking and other wireless items (laptops ) are fine.

Thank you to everyone who offered a suggeestion, and a very warm thank you to my Version rep who graciously teamed with me to solve this.

-

View solution in original post

Re: Help: MAC Filtering Issue: FIOS and Wireless HP Photosmart D110 Not Connecting
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@halexd wrote:

I am getting a diagnotic error message from the HP Printer that "No Filtering" FAIL and that the MAC address filtering may be enabled and blocking the connection.

By default, there is no MAC filtering in the Actiontec.  To connect the printer wirelessly, the printer will need to to know the SSID of the router and have matching encryption settings.  If you login to the router, click on the wireless setttings icon on the top, then click on basic security settings on the side menu, at the bottom of the page you will see all the information you need.  The settings in the printer must match.

jondwillis
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, so I can confirm this is happening with the verizon fios-supplied MI424WR and a HP Photosmart Premium. The printer connects fine (on the printout, "Wireless on" "Wireless working" "Network Name (SSID) Found" "Security" "Printer settings consistent with wireless router settings" all complete successfully before a big FAIL appears next to "No filtering")

I went in and made sure MAC filtering was off. It was. I turned it on and added the printer's MAC to the "allow" list. Same results. Turned it off again. The printer is reporting a false positive and there's no obvious way to bypass it in either the router or printer settings.

I proceeded to plug an old Linksys wireless-G router into the Verizon-supplied Actiontec router using ethernet. Using the other wireless broadcast, I was able to get the printer connected without problems- though this is not an ideal workaround. Also note that the two routers have the exact same connection settings- WPA2-PSK and even the same shared key. The only difference is the SSIDs.

Any insight?

hamilton6
Enthusiast - Level 1

The printer is an HP Photosmart Plus 210A. Does this mean that the router will allow me to set up the printer.

halexd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, with the terrific assistance of a Verizon tech support gentleman, we were able to get this to work without an extra router.

-Turned off WEP security and connected the printer  MAC filtering issue goes away

-Here's a step neither HP nor Apple told me, found by accident: iPAD approved HP printers have a feature called ePrint. You must go out to the HP ePrint center and register your printer and activate the Web Services feature on the printer.

-Go back into router and turn on WEP security

-reconnect printer and IPAD....if you run into a problem with the printer connecting,

-reset the router back to original factory settings...(red button on back of router, with paper clip,hold for 30 secs)

-if needed,reconnect theiPAD and printer to router

-you may need to redo the Web Services feature on printer again. I did, but it only takes a few moments.

And it worked....iPad and Printer are talking and other wireless items (laptops ) are fine.

Thank you to everyone who offered a suggeestion, and a very warm thank you to my Version rep who graciously teamed with me to solve this.

-

Re: Help: MAC Filtering Issue: FIOS and Wireless HP Photosmart
soveryprivate1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just purchased an HP Photosmart Premium printer with WIFI and was getting pretty discouraged about connecting it to the router.  After searching for solutions, I found the one that worked for me and figured I should post it.

I went to http://192.168.1.1 which is the web address for your router's configuration settings (pretty scary, I know).  Within the basic security settings, I found the statement 

WEP prevents unintentional connections to your wireless home network. For greater protection against hacking and security breaches, see Advanced Security Settings.

WEP        Off

and turned that off.  My computer then disconnected from the internet (which really sent me into uh-oh mode).   Deciding to then ignore my computer problem, turned my router off then on, went back to my printer and after about 3-5 minutes which included two failed trial runs on connecting the printer to the router, I stared at my printer* and, seemingly on it's own, the blinking wireless light stopped flashing. It appeared that the printer had basically acknowledged the router without me.  *make sure you look at the printer with disgust and disdain during the 3-5 minutes*

I then went onto my computer's desktop, and, using the VZ Access Manager, reconnected the computer to the internet (without the need for a password). Then, went onto http://192.168.1.1 again and re-established the WEP security setting.

Everything's good now!  

Good luck everyone! ... and I hope this helps.

FiosiTouch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was a little confused by the need to reset the router.  What I did was:

1.  Took the WEP off on the router, then the wireless connection and iPad worked fine, as you described above.

2.  When I put the WEP protection back on, it did not work, but the error message was different this time on the printout.  It said "Your HP Printer Settings do not match your wireless router settings", but no tips on how to resolve it.

3.  Decided to set up printer again, and it asked for the password for the router.  Put it in, and PRESTO, it worked!  IPAd found it again.

It is sad that we have to rely on each other to solve some pretty basic problems.  Thank God you can search for these problem errors and find what others have done to move you along.

djanga

How do I connect to the router? Is it on the computer under ? menu? I know it's a dumb question. I  just wsitched to Verizon from TW and can't get the printer to work. 

0 Likes
jd830z06

Out of the blue, my old Photosmart D110 stopped connecting wirelessly.  Looks like I have fixed by going into AT&T router settings under advanced options and changing the 2.4G home ssid security wpa version from wpa-2 to wpa-1 and wpa-2.  I can turn problem on and off by that setting.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over eleven years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes