Help Needed Please with WiFi Issues
ErinsMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trying to get some info without going through Verizon as they seem to want to sell me everything and I'm not overly tech savvy when it comes to routers so hoping you all can help me figure this out please. 

So I have FIOS triple play, two multi-room DVRs, 2 set-top boxes, and 50/50 Mbps with an old router (FIOS installed at least 6 years ago - but probably closer to 8 years).   We just recently installed Ring 2, have 4 Nests, plus daughter and hubby use their computers (wirelessly) and 2 more of us use Ipads/Iphones also wirelessly. 

Internet in the house is slow, the "signal strength" on my Ring is in the red (RSSI-75 if that means anything to you) and we're having issues with some of our set-top boxes and DVR freezing up which Verizon says is related to the poor WiFi (not sure if that's true or not?).

So Verizon told me I NEED to upgrade to 150/150 Mbps and rent or buy their Gateway router.   I really dont want to pay monthly fees to 'rent' a router, and to buy one, I rather buy a NetGear or Cisco (and not sure which one is best to buy for our needs but looking heavily at Orbi) but Verizon said if I buy from a third party then my DVR/TV service wont work. 

Can someone please help me figure out what I REALLY need.  As mentioned above I'm not very tech savvy so the easier the better. Please and thank you so much!  

0 Likes
Re: Help Needed Please with WiFi Issues
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Section 3.1 can help you set up your internet and tv’s and explain what you need.

the router can be of your own purchase, but you will need to purchase MOCA adapters and splitters in order to keep the Video on demand and the TV guide. You don’t need verizons anything. 

The wifi on Verizon branded routers is the worst. Just google it and you will see the Netgear or Asus etc. is far superior. The WiFi signal degrades depending on distance so if connected via 2.4 GHz the signal should be stable if not going from floor to floor or through walls  with metal . The 5 GHz is for faster proformance but shorter distances. Again just a simple heads up.

you could also get WiFi extenders which pick up your original signal and repeat it. Again another solution. If you are on 50/50 I am assuming you are on MOCA (coaxial) so you can always have a tech savvy friend install your own store bought router. Make sure it has external antennas and beamforming and then have them run a ethernet RJ45 cable from the ONT to your new router. Then call Verizon to have them switch you from MOCA to ethernet connection.

you could also just go ethernet and subscribe to a streaming tv service and use a VoIP service like MagicJack for home phone. You will save a ton of cash.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 50/50 mbps speed is still very good despite all the commercials you see and hear talking about Gig connections. That Gigabit connection is complete overkill in most houses. The most demanding thing people regularly do is stream Netflix and such. That only utilizes 25 mbps for 4k UHD. So unless you are doing two Netflix streams at once chances are you are not maxing out your connection. 

Like the previous post said it is probably just a wifi issue. -75 is really bad signal. Netgear Orbi would be a pretty good solution to help wifi. Very easy setup if not tech savvy. I had to put a wifi extender by my mom’s door for her Ring. They don’t seem to have the best antenna to get a good signal. With Orbi you will be able to get good coverage everywhere. 

The set top boxes freezing definitely doesn’t have anything to do with wifi. They get their signal from the cable lines they connected to. They could just starting to go bad due to the fax they are almost 8 years old. 

You do need their router for the Guide/Ondemand/Multiroom DVR. There are ways around it by having your connection changed to ethernet using your own router and a MoCA adapter. 

One thing you can do is cancel service and put order in your spouses name or vice versa. You will most likely have to upgrade to 100/100 because I don’t think Verizon offers 50/50 anymore. But you will get a better deal and new equipment and Verizon will come out and run ethernet for you. Just tell them you want to use your own router. Then you can use your Orbi, get a better deal, and new settop boxes. Sorry for so much information. 

ErinsMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for the information - unfortunately i dont undertand most of it. LOL. I do recall though that a couple of years ago we had a Net Gear router that was connected by a yellow wire leading from Verizon's router to the Netgear -- but one day the Net Gear just didn't turn on anymore/quit working so I just took that yellow wire leading into the Net Gear and put it into the back of Verizon's router.  Wonder if I just go and buy a new Net Gear if I can just reverse what I did and it'll all work? I'm so confused.  =(

0 Likes
ErinsMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! I wish I could just cancel and switch as you suggested -- but I have a grandfathered version of "ultimate tv package" as well as the DVR for life promotion. Once I cancel I lose both.

Another question now that you mention -75 Mbps and Orbi.  Will Orbi increase my Mbps or do I have to go through Verizon FIOS to upgrade the Mbps? 

0 Likes
ErinsMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I just now looked at the back of my router that the Verizon tech guy gave me at the time they installed FIOS (its marked MI424WR) -- there's one black coaxial cable coming out of the wall and going into it; and since at the time of installation I had a Netgear Router, the technician attached an ethernet cable from Verizon's router to the Netgear.  But a year or so ago the Netgear stopped working so I disconnected it and attached the ethernet cable from the WAN to the LAN both on the Verizon router (it was only way I could get internet service).   So now I have one end of the ethernet cable going into a port labeled "WAN 100/10" (100 is lit green) and the other end of the ethernet cable going into a port labeled "LAN 100/10" (100 is lit green).  Can I not just go out and get another NetGear router and attach either the LAN or WAN end from the Verizon router back into a Netgear Router? 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you get Orbi you can do the same thing. The yellow cord is the ethernet cord. That will go from your Verizon router LAN ports(one of the 4 yellow ones) to the Orbi. If you do decide to get Orbi follow the instructions to set up in AP mode. 

The benefits of Orbi is the first one connects to your FiOS router and the second and/or third are wireless. So you can place them around the house and your wifi signal will be good everywhere. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ErinsMom wrote:

Thank you! I wish I could just cancel and switch as you suggested -- but I have a grandfathered version of "ultimate tv package" as well as the DVR for life promotion. Once I cancel I lose both.

Another question now that you mention -75 Mbps and Orbi.  Will Orbi increase my Mbps or do I have to go through Verizon FIOS to upgrade the Mbps? 

Most likely because even with one Orbi you will get better wifi signal then from the Verizon router. Best case is having multiple Orbis depending on your square footage. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand not wanting to change because of the DVR and Ultimate HD. Like the other poster said the Verizon router had bad wifi. So it sounds like just getting a new router or an Orbi system will help you out. The -75 in the Ring is it’s signal strength from router and that will improve from a better wifi router. 

50 mbps is a good speed for most and the reps on phone will tell you that you have to upgrade. But really its the router signal strength that needs to be improved not the mbps. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Actually the new streaming services like directtvniw and Hulu tv and sling etc. all have dvr functions built in to their services for free. And YouTube tv has additional features for around $5 more.so you save a gazillion dollars dropping tv. And you can still get most if not more stations for around $40 per month with no taxes or surcharges or bogus add on fees. The same for phone service if you need phone service. A good VoIP provider *not Ooma or any provider that requires a monthly fee or taxes”  you pay one price and connect through your internet only service.

you can do all this easily. And save money. You would then need only your own better router and keep your 50/50 service and just do as I recommend. On savings alone it’s worth it.

0 Likes