Help Please: What do I need?
mikeifgf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi. I'm moving into a 2010 built condo complex and have FIOS tech installation coming up next week. I want to do it right by the landlord and management (no necessary holes). I do not see any units have wires by top of their doors so I'm assuming my building has the FIOS ONT units in a common area. Each condo unit has a coax outlet and my own wireless router only takes Ethernet cable. Will the technician be able to address this if I want to continue using my own router? Will this impact my speed of 400Mbps/400Mbps speed? Do I need to purchase any additional equipment prior to his arrival?

Thank you very much. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help Please: What do I need?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know any of your neighbors? See what they have for FiOS services in terms of equipment. Some older buildings rely on VDSL instead of a traditional FiOS setup. Your neighbors may also know where the ONTs reside.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have two options. Either pull an ethernet wire from the ONT to your router, or use a pair of MoCA adapter using the existing coaxial cable. I assume that you cannot pull an ethernet wire.

You can purchase a pair of MoCA Bonded 2.0 adapters from Verizon or Actiontec. You can look into ECB6200, ECB6250 (both sold by Actiontec), or ECB5240M (sold by Verizon). ECB5240M is the cheapest among them. ECB5240M has four ethernet ports, you can only use one port for your purpose.

Then hook them up like this: ONT <--> MoCA adapter (---) MoCA adapter <--WAN> router.

mikeifgf
Enthusiast - Level 1

I really appreciate your help. I think the ONT device has a coax output, so do I only need one MoCA adapter in this case as I do not use the coaxial connection for anything else besides the internet?

ONT(coax) -> MoCA adapter -> Ethernet cable -> Router

Also, would this device work?

Thank you very much

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. You need a fresh pair of MoCA Bonded 2.0 for two reasons.

First, the ONT's Coax WAN is on a different frequency range than the most MoCA adapter's default operating frequency. Nonetheless you can change the adapter's frequency to that of ONT Coax for ECB6200 and ECB6250, but not on ECB5240M. Buying ECB6200/50 will cost you $50 more than buying ECB5240M.

Second, the ONT's MoCA is versioned 1.1, which limits the speed to 175Mbps, thereby bottlenecking your 400Mbps subscription.

For further reference, please consult this older post.

Just a side note: if you get your system to work, please shout out here. It is very helpful for other forum users who would like to whether the setup works or not.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know any of your neighbors? See what they have for FiOS services in terms of equipment. Some older buildings rely on VDSL instead of a traditional FiOS setup. Your neighbors may also know where the ONTs reside.