Help a newbie !!
dvdit

I just placed my order fro Fios 15Mbps/5, TV and phone bundle. I am currently a comcast subscriber ( can't wait to dump them) and I have a few questions and hope you guys wull be able to help me. My set up now consist of a Linksys 5 port switch and the old but very reliable Linksys BEFSR41 router and a motorla SB5100 modem. I have used this setup without any problem, I mean not even a single issue for the last few years. I have actually used the router for 6 + years. Currently I have three computer, a samsung 2550, Roku netflix streamer and Logitec duet music streamer connected to it. Since the Fios router has only 4 ports and I need at least 6 (want 8 for future expansion), can I use an extrnal unmanaged switch to expand the ports ? Any conflct doing that wit the Fios router? What is this issue with the Actiontec router and dropped netflix connection i read about? If I can't stream Netflix, I don't want Fios. What is the solution to this issue? 

Any recommended wired router to use with Fios ? My old Linksys router, while it is still working, might slow down my internet connection. I do not need a wireless setup. Actually I am going to ask the VZ tech to disable the wireless function on the Fios modem/router. I am willing to spend up to $300.00 for the right router + switch and modem if I can get top speed, reliabilty and security. Please fire your recommdations. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help a newbie !!
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

dvdit..You should have no problem hanging an unmanaged switch off the Actiontec Router or a conflict. As far as any kind of router in order to get Video on Demand & guide info you will need the Verizon provide ActionTec router in your network loop in order for those features to work on your TV. Also any linksys/cisco or belkin switch would be fine for your home use.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

dvdit..You should have no problem hanging an unmanaged switch off the Actiontec Router or a conflict. As far as any kind of router in order to get Video on Demand & guide info you will need the Verizon provide ActionTec router in your network loop in order for those features to work on your TV. Also any linksys/cisco or belkin switch would be fine for your home use.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
dvdit

What about video streaming issue with Netflix ? Is that an old story or the ActionTech router still has that problem.

0 Likes