Help a newbie !!

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Help a newbie !!

Message 1 of 4
(4,899 Views)

I just placed my order fro Fios 15Mbps/5, TV and phone bundle. I am currently a comcast subscriber ( can't wait to dump them) and I have a few questions and hope you guys wull be able to help me. My set up now consist of a Linksys 5 port switch and the old but very reliable Linksys BEFSR41 router and a motorla SB5100 modem. I have used this setup without any problem, I mean not even a single issue for the last few years. I have actually used the router for 6 + years. Currently I have three computer, a samsung 2550, Roku netflix streamer and Logitec duet music streamer connected to it. Since the Fios router has only 4 ports and I need at least 6 (want 8 for future expansion), can I use an extrnal unmanaged switch to expand the ports ? Any conflct doing that wit the Fios router? What is this issue with the Actiontec router and dropped netflix connection i read about? If I can't stream Netflix, I don't want Fios. What is the solution to this issue? 

Any recommended wired router to use with Fios ? My old Linksys router, while it is still working, might slow down my internet connection. I do not need a wireless setup. Actually I am going to ask the VZ tech to disable the wireless function on the Fios modem/router. I am willing to spend up to $300.00 for the right router + switch and modem if I can get top speed, reliabilty and security. Please fire your recommdations. Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Re: Help a newbie !!

Message 2 of 4
(4,856 Views)

dvdit..You should have no problem hanging an unmanaged switch off the Actiontec Router or a conflict. As far as any kind of router in order to get Video on Demand & guide info you will need the Verizon provide ActionTec router in your network loop in order for those features to work on your TV. Also any linksys/cisco or belkin switch would be fine for your home use.

Brett
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus

Message 2 of 4
(4,857 Views)

dvdit..You should have no problem hanging an unmanaged switch off the Actiontec Router or a conflict. As far as any kind of router in order to get Video on Demand & guide info you will need the Verizon provide ActionTec router in your network loop in order for those features to work on your TV. Also any linksys/cisco or belkin switch would be fine for your home use.

Brett
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 3 of 4
(4,829 Views)

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 4
(4,796 Views)

What about video streaming issue with Netflix ? Is that an old story or the ActionTech router still has that problem.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.