Help needed Solving Relay Problem with Helium Hotspot
PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Kerlink Wirnet iFemtoCell running on my home WiFi. My ISP is Verizon and I have a G3100 router. I have port 44158 set up for port forwarding and the device IP address set up as a DMZ host.

This setup is working but Explorer shows that it being relayed. My research indicates that Verizon uses CG NAT and will only allow a static IP address for business accounts. The apparent solution is via a VPN that allows for a static IP address (or at least passes all ports through?). 

virtualprivatepi.com claims that their hardware solution will work. They charge $150 for their device plus $14/month. 

If there is a software VPN that would work, that would be less expensive and less messy to set up. Or perhaps there is a work-around that one of you has found so that I don’t have to use any kind of VPN at all. Any solutions would be appreciated. TIA.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help needed Solving Relay Problem with Helium Hotspot
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PaBlum wrote:

You may not ... knowingly or unknowingly use the Services to host any type of server or commercial network or subnetwork. -- Fios Internet Residential Customer Agreement

First of all, operating a Helium Hotspot on your network may be a violation of Terms of Service. Please see the latest Residential Terms and Conditions for more. https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/residential-terms-service 

Verizon residential Fios does not use carrier grade NAT. An IPv4 address is assigned to your account and that address is publicly routable. G3100's port forwarding mechanisms have been modified in the latest firmware to only allow simple port to port forwarding. Forwarding of layer 3 protocols, such as ESP, AH, and GRE have been disabled.

View solution in original post

Re: Help needed Solving Relay Problem with Helium Hotspot
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PaBlum wrote:

You may not ... knowingly or unknowingly use the Services to host any type of server or commercial network or subnetwork. -- Fios Internet Residential Customer Agreement

First of all, operating a Helium Hotspot on your network may be a violation of Terms of Service. Please see the latest Residential Terms and Conditions for more. https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/residential-terms-service 

Verizon residential Fios does not use carrier grade NAT. An IPv4 address is assigned to your account and that address is publicly routable. G3100's port forwarding mechanisms have been modified in the latest firmware to only allow simple port to port forwarding. Forwarding of layer 3 protocols, such as ESP, AH, and GRE have been disabled.