Help replacing D-Link DI-604
Hackerman22
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hi everybody, I was looking into replacing my DI-604 with a newer more robust router. I only have fios Internet (no tv), and have had service for about 5 years. Can I just take the d-link out and put a new router in? Do I need to transfer any settings? How should I setup the new router (dynamic, static, pppoe). I am really just trying to cleanup some of my cable clutter... So thanks in advance!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help replacing D-Link DI-604
Hubrisnxs
Legend

when you're ready, what you want to do is first leave your router plugged in.  go into the administrative page, under STATUS

under status - when you're ready to hook up the new router you have to hit dhcp RELEASE.  (take note of the mac address too - it's on the same page)

right when you hit release and you see it zero out, then immediately unplug your DLINK and then plug in the new verizon router.

if you don't do that step your new router likely won't be able to get an ip address to connect to the internet and you'll have to start over.

after you hook up your new router, alot of it is customizeable.

the default for routers is DHCP  (leave that as is)

the only real thing you will want to do is change your wireless security to WPA2  

everything else is going to be default settings and you'll get right on.

we don't know what personalized settings you have, but if that is working today pretty much out of the box, then you won't have to do much with your new router.  

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

when you're ready, what you want to do is first leave your router plugged in.  go into the administrative page, under STATUS

under status - when you're ready to hook up the new router you have to hit dhcp RELEASE.  (take note of the mac address too - it's on the same page)

right when you hit release and you see it zero out, then immediately unplug your DLINK and then plug in the new verizon router.

if you don't do that step your new router likely won't be able to get an ip address to connect to the internet and you'll have to start over.

after you hook up your new router, alot of it is customizeable.

the only real thing you will want to do is change your wireless security to WPA2  

everything else is going to be default settings and you'll get right on.

we don't know what personalized settings you have, but if that is working today pretty much out of the box, then you won't have to do much with your new router.  

Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Careful: since he was installed 5 years ago, he may be on PPPoE and not using DHCP. Even though I replaced my D-Link several years ago with an Actiontec I am still on PPPoE. You cannot just arbitrarily decide to use or switch to DHCP. What he should do is log into the existing router and see what options are set there, print them out, and then mimic the key settings in the new router.

The D-Link DI-604 is a wired router, so unless he wants to use wireless, whatever router he gets I think he should just turn the wireless off. But most certainly, if he wants to use wireless he should use at least WPA if not WPA2 (depends I guess on what the wireless adapter he might use in his PC supports).

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Defiantly PPPOE. Verizon didnt stop using PPPOE until after they stopped using the 604's. They didnt go to dhcp until they were using the 624's.

Simple. Purchase any router on the market. Connect it in place. Then follow the directions from your new router for setting up a PPPOE connection.

When it gets to the "username" and "password" for the PPPOE connection, you can use anything you want and dont have to even remember it. Verizon uses open authentication and doesnt require a username and password. The fields just have to have something in them. I personally use username for the username and password for the password, but it really doesnt matter what you put in. so long as something is in the field.

Your done. As far as basic connectivity is concerned. Now just need to set up your wireless (assuming you even use wireless)

Just remember, that verizon will not support the router you connect. (no big deal but it is something to keep in mind)

Hackerman22
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for your answers! So it seems pretty easy. Looks like I should be able to do this soon. Now just need to purchase the best router for what I am looking to do. Once again thanks!

0 Likes