Re: Help troubleshooting, please!...
AzManatHrt
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Telcoguru wrote:
All the Ethernet ports are active on the router already. You may just be too far away from the router to pick up a wireless signal or the computer you are using is somehow not setup correctly.

Dear Telcoguru,

Thanks.  I spent 4 hours yesterday downloading and reading the Actiontec router manual, and checking the settings in the router.  In the Ethernet configuration, I found that only port 1 was enabled.  I enabled port 2, the one that I am having trouble getting connected by ethernet hardwire, but it still did not help. 

I spent 2 hours on the phone today with Verizon Fiber Solution Center.  He said that he things I have a bad router because the IP Address displayed in computer connected to port 2 is 159.264.162.157 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0.  This is the only address that will ping.  He said this is an error code of some sort.  However, I still think a new router is not going to solve it.

I am going to try a new ethernet line and connecting my laptop directly to port 2 at the router

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You are definitely not getting an outside IP address. Click Start then Run. Type CMD then type ping yahoo.com. Do you receive packets or get no connection?
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 09-11-2008 09:00 AM
0 Likes
AzManatHrt
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Telcoguru wrote:
You are definitely not getting an outside IP address. Click Start then Run. Type CMD then type ping yahoo.com. Do you receive packets or get no connection?
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 09-11-2008 09:00 AM

I tried pinging www.google.com and the DNS addresses 192.168.1.1 and www.verizon.com from the DOS command prompt.  Nothing sent, 'unable to reach and times out. I can ping and enter the router interface from my original and existing desktop, and from  my laptop when it connects wirelessly, but not hardwired.

NEW development- Verizon is sending a new router and I will attempt to install it tonight.  Any advice that may not come with the router??

THey decided to send me the router because they think only Ethernet port 1 is working.  But I took my working desktop out of Ethernet port 1 and put it in 2 and then 3 and it connected just fine.  Then I took my laptop, which connects wirelessly with ease, and plugged it directly on Ethernet port 1, and it won't even ping out.  This laptop I'm typing on from work right now has both a Ethernet hard wire connection and a wireless connection in my workplace network, and it is set to do everything automatically.

Why it won't work on my home router is a mystery.  I can't imagine that it is possible that I can have only 1 computer connected at a time?  I've proven that there is nothing wrong with the other Ethernet ports.

We'll see what happens with this new router.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Help troubleshooting, please!.-.UPDATED
AzManatHrt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Updated 9-13-08.

I successfully replaced the Actiontec MI424WR and get all previously working computers and STB's working.  I was able to plug my laptop into an Ethernet port on the router and create a wired connection, able to get on the internet and enter the Router Interface.  I was still unable to get the desktop upstairs that I have been trying to add connected.  I replaced the NIC with a D Link wired Ethernet adaptor and essential the software.

THis did not resolve the issue.  THere is some type of s

'script' or previously installed configuration in the boot up script.  I've installed every program that is unnecessary, but when I go into the setup on boot up, I can't find where the settings are that is telling this computer that the IP address is 169.254.11.66.  That is the IP address that keeps getting placed as the main IP in any connection I try to make with that computer.  I thought it might be in the registry or a remnant of the old router, so i ran Registry Maestro, which deleted over 400 files, but that ip is still in there somehow.

I'm thinking that I may have to reformat that HD to get rid if it.

I tried D-link customer support, and they told me to assign the working IP address in the connection, which is a variant of 192.168.1.1, but when I do that, I get an error message hat says there is a conflict with a another network.

I don't know if each computer on the network is supposed to have a 'GATEWAY IP as well as a DNS IP.

The other odd thing is that the router interface says that connection upstairs is a COAX, which it is not, and I can't see how to change that, or if I should leave it alone and let it detect it.

Network troubleshooting always says that the NIC, even the new one,m is not connected.

ANy ideas???

{edited for content - please see PM}

Thanks,

Jeff

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-13-2008 12:01 PM
0 Likes
Re: Help troubleshooting, please!.-.UPDATED
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Type start. Go to Run. Type CMD. Type ipconfig /release. Once IP is released type ipconfig /renew to get new IP address. See if that works.
0 Likes