Help with Firewall
rgrohman

I want to setup my firewall to block websites but I don't not want the Verizon Warning Screen to come up, is it possible? I have sites blocked and when you try to go to those sites the verizon window comes up saying it is blocked. I don't want them to know they are being blocked!

Thanks!

Rob

0 Likes
Re: Help with Firewall
prisaz
Legend

@rgrohman wrote:

I want to setup my firewall to block websites but I don't not want the Verizon Warning Screen to come up, is it possible? I have sites blocked and when you try to go to those sites the verizon window comes up saying it is blocked. I don't want them to know they are being blocked!

Thanks!

Rob

Don't think so. I have looked at all the advanced filtering options and I have not seen anyway to turn off this notice. Looked at Actiontec and Westell router manuals and did not see anyway to turn the notification off. I even had a Netgear router and tried, but a notice always comes up. Would be a nice firmware feature to disable blocking notice. Better to have the connection time out without a notice for some connections. Better if you could set turn off filter notifications for this mac address or all mac addresses. Perhaps it could be done. I have used parental controls and if anyone asked, I said traffic of that type is blocked. Tuff!
Message Edited by prisaz on 02-27-2009 05:31 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Which firewall are you speaking about?    The firewall in the router or the Verizon internet security suite firewall?
0 Likes
rgrohman

The router firewall. It comes up with a notice that the site is being blocked but a time out notice would be great. I wonder if anyone know where that graphic may be located? Maybe it could be changed??

Thanks!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@rgrohman wrote:

The router firewall. It comes up with a notice that the site is being blocked but a time out notice would be great. I wonder if anyone know where that graphic may be located? Maybe it could be changed??

Thanks!

I am sure it's in the router firmware. You would need to hack and reverse engineer the firmware. I think it would be difficult not to mention illegal. There are routers out there based on DD-WRT and the source code is gpl available on the web. It may be you could piggy back something to the actiontec to achieve the desired filtering result. I am running IP cop and it uses a proxy filter. It may be you will need to run a software router and proxy server to do what you want.
0 Likes