Help with IP Cameras to port forward Verizon router
gianboy13

I need help!

I want to access my home security cameras from my phone or PC off the network.

I need to forward my DVR IP address to a Public IP address..

Can someone please guide me?

I tried to do it by login to Verizon router no success

Please give me some guidance

Router:

gateway quantum g1100

SAMPLE:

DVP IP ADDRESS:

192.167.1.170  http 80 SERVER PORT 6047

PUBLIC IP: 100.65.36.40

WHAT DO I DO?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with IP Cameras to port forward Verizon router
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Assuming the DVR's using port 80 for its remote access, and you want 6047 to be the public port seen from your public IP, follow these steps (if I incorrectly understood which port goes where please let me know.)

1. Login to the router. Go to http://192.168.1.1/

2. Click the Firewall button on the top menu bar.

3. Click Yes when asked about wanting to proceed.

4. Click Port Forwarding from your left side bar.

5. You'll be brought to a page titled "Port Forwarding". Follow these steps to add your port forward rule:

- Click the Select IP from menu dropdown. Either choose your DVR's IP from the list, or click "Specify IP" to manually type it in.

- In the Application to forward... dropdown, select Custom Ports

- Click the Advanced button. This will give you more options.

- You'll see a dropdown with Destination Ports as its title. Click "Specify" from the drop down menu. Type 6047 into this box. 

-  Last step! Look below to find the Forward to Port dropdown menu. Click the drop down menu and select Specify. Put 80 in this box. Now click Add and your new rule should be added.

So now, your port forwarding is setup as so:

100.65.36.40:6047 will forward to -> 192.168.1.170:80

And here is a photo of what the configuration screen should look like: 

Just a side note: PLEASE CHANGE YOUR DVR's DEFAULT PASSWORD. You may not think that anyone will find your IP, but there are bots constantly scanning the internet and your DVR will be found. Please for your own sake, make sure your not using the default password! I've had many clients in the past do this, and it dosen't end up pretty. 

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Assuming the DVR's using port 80 for its remote access, and you want 6047 to be the public port seen from your public IP, follow these steps (if I incorrectly understood which port goes where please let me know.)

1. Login to the router. Go to http://192.168.1.1/

2. Click the Firewall button on the top menu bar.

3. Click Yes when asked about wanting to proceed.

4. Click Port Forwarding from your left side bar.

5. You'll be brought to a page titled "Port Forwarding". Follow these steps to add your port forward rule:

- Click the Select IP from menu dropdown. Either choose your DVR's IP from the list, or click "Specify IP" to manually type it in.

- In the Application to forward... dropdown, select Custom Ports

- Click the Advanced button. This will give you more options.

- You'll see a dropdown with Destination Ports as its title. Click "Specify" from the drop down menu. Type 6047 into this box. 

-  Last step! Look below to find the Forward to Port dropdown menu. Click the drop down menu and select Specify. Put 80 in this box. Now click Add and your new rule should be added.

So now, your port forwarding is setup as so:

100.65.36.40:6047 will forward to -> 192.168.1.170:80

And here is a photo of what the configuration screen should look like: 

Just a side note: PLEASE CHANGE YOUR DVR's DEFAULT PASSWORD. You may not think that anyone will find your IP, but there are bots constantly scanning the internet and your DVR will be found. Please for your own sake, make sure your not using the default password! I've had many clients in the past do this, and it dosen't end up pretty. 

gianboy13

Ok. Port 6047 is done and is confirmed open port.... now I need to port forward http 80... how do I that ?

0 Likes
vaporland
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks so much for this - such a difficult UI - such a simple solution

TomL4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Justin, thanks for this. I wasted hours last year trying to set up a simple port forward to an IP camera. The admin UI is awful. Even had Verizon support on the phone and we couldn't do it. I had all but given up and then stumbled on your example tonight and it worked first time.  I think the terms 'source' and 'destination' were screwing me up because destination seemed it should be the port that would be hit on the local device, not the port number the user would enter from outside. Thanks again.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes