Help with Outoing Email that is being incorrectly marked as spam by Verizon
GeorgiaR51
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to send my daughter's livejournal homepage link to a few people and Verizon keeps flagging it as spam.  When my daughter sent me the link on 1/4/10, her email ended up in my spam folder, even though she used her .edu email address as she usually does.  Is the problem with the link or has her email address suddenly been flagged as suspicious? HELP!!

0 Likes
Re: Help with Outoing Email that is being incorrectly marked as spam by Verizon
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I suggest you take a look at the link provided in the error: www.verizon.net/spamfaq

It is the content of the message that is being flagged as spam. If you feel that the content should not be blocked, you can forward the message to spamdetector.update@verizon.net as an attachment.

As stated in the Spam FAQ page, you will not get any response when sending the message to spamdetector.update@verizon.net for review. You attach the message that you are unable to send, and they review it. Depending on the outcome of the investigation, the filter will either be updated to allow the content that was previously blocked, or it will be determined to be a legitimate block and no changes will be made.

Some troubleshooting steps you can try:
If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Remove any links/URLs from the email one at a time to isolate if one of them is causing the block.

GeorgiaR51
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did all that you suggested.  I guess I just have to wait for Verizon to look at the email.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@GeorgiaR51 wrote:

I did all that you suggested.  I guess I just have to wait for Verizon to look at the email.

It's not actually Verizon that looks at the email, according to the FAQ page:

The message will be examined by third party anti-spam experts. If the message is found to be legitimate, Verizon is notified to adjust or modify the spam filter which caught your message.

0 Likes