Help with QOS rules while using Actiontec router as a bridge

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Help with QOS rules while using Actiontec router as a bridge

Message 1 of 1
(781 Views)

In my family's house I have a Verizon Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F currently acting as strictly a modem with WiFi turned off. I connected a Netgear N600 from its LAN port to the Actiontec's LAN port and that is acting as my wireless network. I did this because it is a 2-story house and the Netgear offered better WiFi coverage throughout the house than the Actiontec. The Actiontec router has its 192.168.1.1 ip address and the netgear has a 192.168.1.2 ip address and neither one has anything plugged into its WAN port. Everything (laptops, Xbox, cellphones, etc.) was working well until I recently purchased a new home theatre receiver. The receiver has network capability so I purchased a few Netgear Powerline 500 nanos. I have a total of 4 of the "powerline plugins", The first one, the hub, I have plugged directly into the Actiontec router and the other three I'm using for the Xbox,  the receiver, and a WDTV live smart box. I got them all working but I've noticed WiFi speeds on the laptops have dropped and the netgear plugin I have alotted for the Xbox is going slower than the other two plugins that really don't require that much internet usage. The main home PC is directly connected to a LAN port on the actiontec router so I turned off the Netgear N600 and ran a speed test with no interference. I got results of 58.99 Download and 39.03 Upload. So what I want to know is if my setup I'm using currently okay or do I need to change some settings on the Actiontec to make it a "true bridge" rather than more of a modem? And if my setup is okay will QOS rules in place (with assigned Static IP's) help to make things more efficient? If that's the case how do I set QOS rules on the actiontec that fit my needs? I appreciate any help anyone can give me!  

So to sum up:

1. Actiontec MI424WR Rev F has a router plugged into its LAN port from the LAN port of a....

2. Netgear N600 router which is being used as main router/WiFi. Have a total of...

3. 4 Netgear Powerline 500's throughout the house with the main Hub plugged into a LAN port on the Actiontec.

All have reception but with major efficiency issues. WiFi has also slowed due to this.  

Thanks again! 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.