High Ping and Slow Internet
izzyisdizzy

I often connect to a teamspeak server that is on the west coast and my ping is typically around 90ms~.  Also when I play online games from east coast servers my ping is usually 15ms~.  For the past two weeks it has been 160ms~ on the teamspeak and today it has spiked to 190ms~ with lots of packet loss.  On the online gaming servers it is 120ms~, and this is very frustrating. It's also really slow loading webpages and trying to watch youtube videos.

I am connected through an ethernet cable and I've tried resetting the router and whatnot.

Help.

0 Likes
Re: High Ping and Slow Internet
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The only suggestion I can make is that you change the DNS server you're using.  That may change the routing you get to the west coast.

Some users have had good success with Google's DNS server, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, or OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 or 208.78.24.238, or Level 3 at 4.4..2.1.

Other than that, I suspect what you're seeing is one of the mysteries of the Internet.  I've had numerous times where I usually have good latency to another part of the world and then, for a few days, it gets much worse.  Fortunately, it usually fixes itself.

0 Likes