High Speed Internet is available at my address, it it possible to get FiOS?
noahk113

I am currently not a Verizon customer, but I was a long time ago when DSL first became available. I upgraded to Comcast internet when it became available which was before FiOS came out. I'm looking for better internet but the only other option at my address is HSI from Verizon, which isn't very fast. Since FiOS is available in other areas of my city, I was wondering if I could get FiOS directly installed at my address or through the upgrade program Verizon offers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High Speed Internet is available at my address, it it possible to get FiOS?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS requires the installation of physical infrastructure in your area. Fiber lines, instead of Copper Telephone lines (what DSL runs over). Unless you know of any neighbors having FiOS, it may not actually be available for you to order, and no upgrade program Verizon could offer over the phone will get you FiOS. One program that is happening in many areas with FiOS is a copper retirement program, where Verizon is decommissioning copper, as it is getting expensive to maintain and not competing well compared to other services. As they decommission the copper, they lay down Fiber which can be used for FiOS and 5G services.

Check here, on a state by state basis, for any copper retirement notices for your area. They typically list the retirements by the city your central office is in: https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/network-disclosures

One note, once FiOS is available, Verizon will stop selling DSL services. Their website will explicitly show FiOS when you check for service availability.

View solution in original post

Re: High Speed Internet is available at my address, it it possible to get FiOS?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS requires the installation of physical infrastructure in your area. Fiber lines, instead of Copper Telephone lines (what DSL runs over). Unless you know of any neighbors having FiOS, it may not actually be available for you to order, and no upgrade program Verizon could offer over the phone will get you FiOS. One program that is happening in many areas with FiOS is a copper retirement program, where Verizon is decommissioning copper, as it is getting expensive to maintain and not competing well compared to other services. As they decommission the copper, they lay down Fiber which can be used for FiOS and 5G services.

Check here, on a state by state basis, for any copper retirement notices for your area. They typically list the retirements by the city your central office is in: https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/network-disclosures

One note, once FiOS is available, Verizon will stop selling DSL services. Their website will explicitly show FiOS when you check for service availability.