Hiring for router swap
extremerower

How would I hire someone to swap the Fios router for my own? I've been trying and reading through the forums with no luck doing it myself.

most computer stores I call say it can't be done despite everyone here saying it can.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hiring for router swap
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not familiar with router configuration and networking, it might be best to not switch off Verizon router.
Verizon will not support anything other than using their router. So if you have an issue, you will be left with either going back to the person who swapped it for you, or trying to figure it out with online help.
There is a thread at the the top of this forum on how to configure your own router for use with FIOS including TV service.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Spicycarlos14 wrote:

How would I hire someone to swap the Fios router for my own? I've been trying and reading through the forums with no luck doing it myself.

most computer stores I call say it can't be done despite everyone here saying it can.

i live in ocean nj 07712, willing to hire anyone here if they do that type of work.

Assuming you have the Quantum Gateway Router G1100 and you are connected via ethernet and are internet only? If you are all those things it is a simple process of unplugging then ethernet from the fios routers WAN port and switching it to your Asus, Netgear, TP Link Archer etc WAN port, then plugging it into power. It should find DHCP and you are all set.

now if you have tv and phone that is a little more difficult.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

the above link should be able to guide you. You can also post your issue over there as well and I am sure someone will get you up and running.

extremerower

Thank you, yes I have FiOS tv as well. 

Yesterday I was able to swap routers but the tvs were having issues so I gave up and went back. 

also after doing so my internet speed went down from 650/250 to 100/100 thoughts?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS TV works best when a Verizon router is in the mix.  Check out the link to DSL report’s FAQ for various network configurations.

If you have the FiOS VMS system, it can be difficult to get TV working without a Verizon router as primary.  The older set-top-boxes are a bit easier.  TiVOs with Verizon cable-cards are the easiest to use with a non-Verizon router.

If the speed was stuck at 100/100, that suggests an Ethernet link running at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.  Check the link speed status on the connected device to determine if it is 100Mbps or 1Gbps.  If it’s 100Mbps, that’s your problem.  Then, check that all the ports involved are actually 1Gbps.  Some cheap routers only have 100Mbps ports.  If you’re sure all the ports on the router are 1Gbps capable, this could be caused by a bad Ethernet cable, bad connector, loose connection, a mis-configured port or more. 

Good Luck.

extremerower

I’m gonna try and work on this on my day off. The strange thing was, was I reset the FiOS router to factory settings and only used that for internet and the connection was 100/100.

I need more help with the fios router only as a moca bridge. 

I got internet from ONT to my nighthawk but it seemed slow, so I need to change the IP address at all

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Spicycarlos14 wrote:

I’m gonna try and work on this on my day off. The strange thing was, was I reset the FiOS router to factory settings and only used that for internet and the connection was 100/100.

I need more help with the fios router only as a moca bridge. 

I got internet from ONT to my nighthawk but it seemed slow, so I need to change the IP address at all

If you have the higher speeds and tv with the Quantum Gateway Router and you don't get it with the Netgear as a stand alone as the other poster stated you may have to keep the Quantum as primary to keep tv and dhcp connection.

the Netgear can and should be placed into access point mode. The setting for it is just a flip of a radio button under access point on the Netgear router. After that is flipped on you receive tv as before, you receive internet through the fios router as before.

the set up in this situation is the ethernet cable stays in the WAN port of the fios gateway router from the ONT. You then take an ethernet cable from fios gateway routers #1 LAN port to the Netgear WAN port. 

this should get you up and running. To access the Netgear to verify you are on AP Mode you type from the url bar on your computer www.routerlogin.net which will give the GUI of your Netgear. From the status line you can see if your internet is in AP mode, depending on the Netgear router there is a place that shows the connect rate at your lan ports.

if you need more answers http://www.netgear.com click on support and enter your model number. Very informative 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not familiar with router configuration and networking, it might be best to not switch off Verizon router.
Verizon will not support anything other than using their router. So if you have an issue, you will be left with either going back to the person who swapped it for you, or trying to figure it out with online help.
There is a thread at the the top of this forum on how to configure your own router for use with FIOS including TV service.