Horrible Speed with Gigabit Connection
BLKWHTTSI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello everyone,

I am new to the fios world. I purchased the gigabit speed and have a fios router as well. I should also note I do live in a pretty old house built with plaster walls in 1954. However I did not think that this would affect my wifi speed as much as it does.

As I said I have the gigabyte connection and when I do speed tests to the router I get the gigabit speed however my problem lies where I go from the router to devices. Device tests only ranged from about a 100 megabits to 120 megabits up/down. Tests were done with a Galaxy s9, iphone 6s, and a 2 year old Surface Pro standing not 2 feet from the router. I also have an Andriod streaming box ethernetted in and it too only sees 115 megabits. Obviously this is an extreme letdown for me. What could I possibly do I have already upgraded my ethernet cables from Fios box to router and router to Andriod streaming box. There is still an old coax cable from fios box to router, could change that if its a problem.

Calls to verizon have not helped as they either blame my house or my devices.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Horrible Speed with Gigabit Connection
jonjones1
Legend

That would be great but there is a flaw in your analogy.

certain devices do not connect at AC/A due to the radios in the devices.

and on 2.4 Ghz although great for distance many devices on that band do not use “N”

the connection is device dependent under WiFi.

like the other poster, they are saying it should be faster under their gigabyte connection on WiFi. This is not the case. Again WiFi is device and distance dependent.

it also is dependent on external antenna versus internal antenna and if beam forming is on the router (Verizon Quantum Gateway Router has internal antennas) and is famous for terrible WiFi speeds and coverage. Google it, and read more on it.

you could have the fastest internet in the universe but the WiFi will never be up to par with a physical ethernet connection. Read up on it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Your speeds of up to 940/880 is via ethernet connection from your computer to the router (Verizon router) which tests your speeds 

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

Wifi speeds are not guaranteed by any isp or even cable internet.

so unless your direct ethernet to the router is low you have no complaint.

my iPad on WiFi is around 350-420 and my iPhone is close to those numbers. 

BLKWHTTSI
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ethernetted speed is the same, 115mbps as stated in my first post. I fully understand that 900mbps is not possible with wifi but for it to only be 110, that does not sit well with me. I am paying extra for this speed and if im only ever going to get 110mbps then i will reduce my speed. My friend has comcast and a gigabit connection and gets 211 on her old iphone on wifi. 

When i upgraded to the gigabit connection, a tech never came out to make any changes. Only time a tech was out was for initial setup when i had 150mbps up/down

MattinNJ1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go into your router settings:  192.168.1.1

The user name will most likely be "admin" and the password will be on the side of your router.  Note that this is not your wi-fi password but a password specifically for you to get into your router settings.

Find the Advanced Wireless settings and navigate to the broadcast type for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band.

Set the 2.4ghz to 'Wireless N Only"

Set the 5ghz to 'Wireless AC Only"

'Save' the settings

The router will reset after you 'apply' the changes.

Make sure your 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands have different SSID names too.

Now, on all of your wireless devices, connect to the 5ghz wi-fi.  The connection speed should be much higher now.

If the signal is too weak (since 5ghz doesn't travel as far as 2.4ghz), try switching to the 2.4ghz wi-fi.  The switch to 'only N' you made above should bring your speed up a bit, but no more than 140mbps.

jonjones1
Legend

That would be great but there is a flaw in your analogy.

certain devices do not connect at AC/A due to the radios in the devices.

and on 2.4 Ghz although great for distance many devices on that band do not use “N”

the connection is device dependent under WiFi.

like the other poster, they are saying it should be faster under their gigabyte connection on WiFi. This is not the case. Again WiFi is device and distance dependent.

it also is dependent on external antenna versus internal antenna and if beam forming is on the router (Verizon Quantum Gateway Router has internal antennas) and is famous for terrible WiFi speeds and coverage. Google it, and read more on it.

you could have the fastest internet in the universe but the WiFi will never be up to par with a physical ethernet connection. Read up on it.

0 Likes
BLKWHTTSI
Enthusiast - Level 2

So this g1100 router may be junk? I have a Netgear ac1200. The fios tech told me months ago that a fios router is the way to go so i got the g1100. All of my speed tests have been done within 2 feet of the router. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Here is my speed tests using both a Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 

i had to hook it in instead of my Nighthawk R8500 which cannot use verizons test site.

imageRouter to Fios server

imageApple iPad 4 mini device test.

As you can see big difference in results. This is my WiFi from my Nighthawk using Ookla 

imageWiFi speed test from iPad 4 mini using Nighthawk

BLKWHTTSI
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cant see the pictures.. and dont want to buy another router. Would my ac1200 possibly have better signal in your opinion?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are testing to speed test.Verizon.net and only getting 115m via ethernet, you have a service issue. You can use that info to contact support as an issue.

Call 1800verizon or twitter @verizonsupport

jonjones1
Legend

@BLKWHTTSI wrote:

I cant see the pictures.. and dont want to buy another router. Would my ac1200 possibly have better signal in your opinion?

The photos should be up by now. The forum holds photos etc for review.

The Netgear specs here https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6230.aspx

is a very good router. And should give better signal. 

0 Likes