Horrible
Gigi1913

I got my new service installed yesterday and switched from Comcast. I'm appalled by how slow the "gigabyte" service is. I've run several tests and at best getting 64mbps uploads and 74mbps downloads. Tech support said this is because I'm on wifi and the faster speeds are only for wired connections. I don't understand how I was gettin 200mbps on Comcast via wifi and with fios so called gigabyte its 64??? This makes no sense whatsoever! **bleep**! They gave me every excuse in the book but the truth is the Verizon router looks like a toy compared to my old xfinity router. Also-- why do they make customers pay for on demand episodes even for channels (not even premium channels) in my package. Again. Nuts!!! 

0 Likes
Re: Horrible
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't say for sure on speeds.

To be sure you are provisioned properly, use a wired connection.

Run test to speedtest.Verizon.net

If you don't get close to subscribed speeds, contact support.

As for paid episodes, from what I have seen, Verizon's offerings are on par with other providers.

Difference is that where some providers would show just 4 free episodes for example, Verizon will show the same 4 free ones then those episodes that the content provider has available for a fee.

I have not seen an example where someone shows that Verizon has an episode for a fee that other providers offer for free.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Gigi1913 wrote:

I got my new service installed yesterday and switched from Comcast. I'm appalled by how slow the "gigabyte" service is. I've run several tests and at best getting 64mbps uploads and 74mbps downloads. Tech support said this is because I'm on wifi and the faster speeds are only for wired connections. I don't understand how I was gettin 200mbps on Comcast via wifi and with fios so called gigabyte its 64??? This makes no sense whatsoever! **bleep**! They gave me every excuse in the book but the truth is the Verizon router looks like a toy compared to my old xfinity router. Also-- why do they make customers pay for on demand episodes even for channels (not even premium channels) in my package. Again. Nuts!!! 

Call 1-800-VERIZON have them provision your service for the higher speeds.

wifi is never as fast as a wired connection however I would reset the router first, turn off every wired/wifi enabled device then restart the router and wait for it to be fully operational and then start each device one at a time and then check at the speed link the other poster gave you. Verizon uses a proprietary connection to test from their server to your router. If it shows around 900/800 they say that is ok. Please remember that having speeds lower on direct connection will have verizon tech support either provision from their end or send a truck roll.

wifi normally is around 300, 400 at best speed. But dependent on the devices radio and capabilities.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your fios router in the same place as the comcast router was?

0 Likes