How Do I Max out wireless Speed
Xclusive1
Enthusiast - Level 3

How Do I Max out Wireless Speeds

Re: How Do I Max out wireless Speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perform a Speedtest at http://www.speedtest.net/ or http://speedtest.verizon.net/ and also tell us what FiOS package you are on.

Xclusive1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I Have The 25/25 Package

and The speeds im getting are 10.21 for Download and 10.81 for upload

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What I would do first in this case (provided nothing else was using your connection or Wireless at the time) is to try changing the Wireless channel on your router. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the best to try since they are non-overlapping. What you can do is using a PC with a Wireless card, download the programmed called InSSIDer and open it. This program will allow you to see other networks nearby you in a graph form, and help you pick the best channel range to set your network to. Your goal there is to get your network running in channels that have no networks running in them, or if there are none free, the one with the weakest signals.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

With the same PC you many want to run the speed test when connected on a wired connection.  Sometimes firewalls or anti-virus systems may prevent you from achieving the higher speeds.  Its a good starting point to baseline your wired connection.

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

um, yeah.  The 'advertised' speed \ band-width \ through-put, whatever, of the package you are subscribing to monthly, has little to do with the speed of a wireless connection coming off your router.  Wireless is always susceptible to interference (thus, they can not guarantee wireless performance).  With that stated, to truly max your wireless experience, after getting on a 'the best' local channel and reducing as many 'blocks' that may be in your way (walls, ceilings\floors, furniture, etc) between the broadcasting router and the receiving device, you must 'bond' the router and the wireless NIC of the receiving device. 

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@cjacobs001 wrote:

you must 'bond' the router and the wireless NIC of the receiving device. 

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that?

I'm sure the OP would like an explanation (as would I).

0 Likes