How about VOIP (like Vonage) over FIOS
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

When I signed up for FIOS Triple-Play the rep told me Verizon would "soon" be offering VOIP phone service that would eliminate all the standard telco fees and service charges.  Since this has not happend (and I wonder if it ever will) I'm curious if anyone has tried Vonage or one of thoe other VOIP phone services over FIOS.

Re: How about VOIP (like Vonage) over FIOS
prisaz
Legend

FiOS Version of VOIP is called Digital Voice. You may or may not be able to get it in your area. From what I have read it will require you to renew yor commitment if you are able to switch to DV. How much of a tax and fees break you would get is questionable. It used to be more, but from what I have seen the local fees suck up any savings once seen. So is it really worth switching to save $5 or $10? Some like the added features.

Also Vonage works great on FiOS. I have Vonage World. But remember if you try to drop the voice part of tripple play there is a hefty termination fee. If you are out of your commitment or willing to pay the prorated ETF, they will probably make it worth it for you to stay with Verizon phone service. For some reason they don't like to lose voice customers.