How can I get a temporary static IP?
potratzfamily

I've got a Vantec Nexstar LX NAS drive that I'm trying to connect to. However, I can't acecss it *I think* due to an IP address issue with my FIOS router. So what I'd like to do it get a temporary static IP so I can log into my NAS drive, change its IP address, and then switch back to my original IP.

Here's a link that better explains what I think is my problem (post #1) and the solution (post #2):
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=210270

I'm pretty tech savvy, but when it comes to network stuff I'm only an intermediate user. Please help if you can, because I'd like to be able to access my precious files on my NAS!

Thanks in advance,

-Aaron

0 Likes
Re: How can I get a temporary static IP?
prisaz
Legend

@potratzfamily wrote:

I've got a Vantec Nexstar LX NAS drive that I'm trying to connect to. However, I can't acecss it *I think* due to an IP address issue with my FIOS router. So what I'd like to do it get a temporary static IP so I can log into my NAS drive, change its IP address, and then switch back to my original IP.

Here's a link that better explains what I think is my problem (post #1) and the solution (post #2):
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=210270

I'm pretty tech savvy, but when it comes to network stuff I'm only an intermediate user. Please help if you can, because I'd like to be able to access my precious files on my NAS!

Thanks in advance,

-Aaron

I guess by reading the link you posted, you have your problem solved.

The instructions also say the ip address to use if the drive is connected directly to a computer is 169.254.0.1.

You need to set your PC to use a temporary address on the same network as the drive. Like the post said 169.254.0.100.

Change the drive address to your network and then put you PC back to the way it was.

0 Likes
potratzfamily

Sorry, no - that was not my post. Just one referencing the problem that I seem to be having.

I need to set my PC to use a temporary static IP, but I don't know how to do this with the FIOS router. This is what I need help with.

Thanks,

-Aaron 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@potratzfamily wrote:

Sorry, no - that was not my post. Just one referencing the problem that I seem to be having.

I need to set my PC to use a temporary static IP, but I don't know how to do this with the FIOS router. This is what I need help with.

Thanks,

-Aaron 

You do not need to do this in the router. To connect to your NAS drive, your PC needs to have an address on the same network as the drive. If you go to the network connection properties on your PC, you can set your PC to use a static address until after you connect to your NAS drive and change it's address though the web interface. PC 169.254.0.100. Open it from the browser via http://169.254.0.1/. Change the drives address to something in your network like 192.168.0. 240 or something that is not in your DHCP range in your router. Then go back to your PCs network connection properties and change it back to dynamic.. While your PC is using the temporary static address you configured, you will lose Internet connectivity on your PC.

"You need to set your PC to use a temporary address on the same network as the drive. Like the post said 169.254.0.100.

Change the drive address to your network and then put your PC back to the way it was."

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-28-2009 04:56 AM
Message Edited by prisaz on 01-28-2009 04:57 AM
0 Likes