How can I get an faster ONT devices so I can get faster speeds then 75/35?
shymedq871
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do I request an ONT that is newer?

Re: How can I get an faster ONT devices so I can get faster speeds then 75/35?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends on what is available in your area. If the max you can get is 75Mbps/35Mbps, you might be stuck in an older BPON area, where the higher tiers such as 150Mbps and 300Mbps are not available due to BPON's 622/155Mbps total capacity which has to be split up across a maximum of 32 ONTs. If GPON is available in the Fiber Distribution Hub you come out of, then you should be able to get something faster.

What model ONT do you have? You should be able to check the sticker inside the customer access portion of the ONT to find out who makes it and what the model is.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note if higher speeds are available in your area and your current ONT cannot support them, they will switch out your ONT when you order those speeds. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

They will only switch out your ONT if,

"GPON is available in the Fiber Distribution Hub you come out of, then you should be able to get something faster."

All hubs are slowly being upgraded because the older legacy BPON hardware is no longer available. Even new installs with 15/5 will be installed with a GPON ONT. Unless the area is no where near close to having the splitters at the hubs, and GPON OLTs installed. They may try to find BPON hardware, or if it is for just a repair they may be sitting on some BPON hardware which will provide 75/35. If you have the oldest 610-611 ONT, you will be limited to 50/20 because, one the upload speeds max out at 29Mbps on the original ONT610 or old hardware. The BPON 612 ONT has no issues at 75/35, and that is why some users cannot get 75/35, but are limited to 50/20.

My area was recently upgraded, and splitters were installed at the hubs. I am on GPON and neighbors are still on BPON. I went from 75/35 to 150/65.

Check the MyVerizon site for your services, and look for the upgrade. If it is available it will show. If not, you may have to get in touch with someone that perhaps may be able to contact engineering to see if and when it will be available. It may be available with some changes in your hub, that have not yet been performed. The more people that inquire, may change the priority regarding hub upgrades.

Good luck and happy surfing.

0 Likes