How can I stealth my MI424WR-GEN2 ports with a web/ftp server running?
ssking
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello..

I have FIOS with MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E and I'm trying to stealth the ports while running a web/ftp server on one of my private IP systems.

Please advise router/ firewall settings. 

Thanks much,

Steve

0 Likes
Re: How can I stealth my MI424WR-GEN2 ports with a web/ftp server running?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What do you mean by "stealth" a port?

0 Likes
ssking
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told that the MI-424 will let me use port forwarding to run an FTP server on a private IP/NAT system..  and that  port 21 will pass a port scan test by looking like its closed to the port scan service like  grc.com Shields Up, etc..  so I guess "stealth" in this case means the port will not ping, etc.  but is still accessible to external computers with the right credentials.. 

thanks!   Steve

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

So if you go into the router by pointing your browser to:

Once you logon select Firewall Settings

See which one you have enabled.  By default it should be Typical (Medium)

Now Select remote Administration from the left.

Under Diagnotisc Tools uncheck both boxes

Now select Port Forwarding from the left menu

Select the PC which will accept the FTP traffic and then select Application to forward and choose FTP.

Is that you are looking to do?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ssking wrote:

I was told that the MI-424 will let me use port forwarding to run an FTP server on a private IP/NAT system..  and that  port 21 will pass a port scan test by looking like its closed to the port scan service like  grc.com Shields Up, etc..   

You can't have it both ways.  If you forward a port to a server (e.g. FTP) and the server is listening, then the port is open.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to establish a connection to it from an FTP client on the internet. 

One thing you can do however, if you are connecting to your FTP server only from specific places, is to create an advanced filtering rule that only allows inbound packets on port 21 from those specific IP addresses.

BTW, you can't ping a port.  Ping is to an IP address, not a specific port.

ssking
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great points.. thanks..

I guess this boils down to 2 issues:

1) protect the FTP server's ports from denial of service attacks

2) protect the FTP server from ID/password guesses by hackers

Not sure what the server  (Userv) does about item 1)....  maybe some

sort of throttling of requests it processes

for item 2),  I can't be sure my users will be at a specific IP or MAC address but

the server blocks hackers if they connect more than 3 times in 30 seconds

which should adress second issue..  ?

I want to turn on the secure login (SSH I think) feature .. which should help

if the server requires a certificate for connection..

any other thoughts are most welcome

thanks much, steve

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Set your servers to use non standard ports and then share those port numbers with the users you want to allow access to.  That will cut down hacking attempts a lot.

Use port triggering to temporarily open ports

Use port forwarding to non standard ports in combination with port triggering.

prisaz
Legend

@viafax999 wrote:

Set your servers to use non standard ports and then share those port numbers with the users you want to allow access to.  That will cut down hacking attempts a lot.

Use port triggering to temporarily open ports

Use port forwarding to non standard ports in combination with port triggering.

That works some times, but I thought I would comment. My work slammed the door on none standard ports. So I set my SSH server to run on port 21 and not 22. My connect work until I tried a file trasfer through WinSCP in my SSH session. I am not sure what software they are running but they don't like it when it can't read a 2048bit encrypted connection. It seems like I am working for the NSA since they have gotten so tight. The network seems like it sets outbound firewall settings based on user account, because some can run WinSCP over SSH. Or perhaps I need to find out what port they want used.

Also depending on what the OP is running for a Web/FTP server.  I would not have my primary system set up as one, and then the one running the server would only have none critical content. They are inherently not very secure unless it is a very good product set up 100% correctly. That is why I was running SSH with WinSCP.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, had some of the same issues.

We have a commercial product that connects from a pc to a mainframe product using appc on a vpn connection.

Configured by default to use port 80 as most commercial sites allow port 80 access then ran into the issues of traffic scanners that were rejecting the port 80 traffic as non http so had to open another listener on our end on a non standard port.

0 Likes
ssking
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Also depending on what the OP is running for a Web/FTP server.  I would not have my primary system set up as one, and then the one running the server would only have none critical content. They are inherently not very secure unless it is a very good product set up 100% correctly. That is why I was running SSH with WinSCP.

good stuff..  IMO this is the other key aspect of hardening.. ie.. isolating the public facing app.. if poss.. run it in a sandbox with minimal rights.. etc etc..

thanx much.. I'm on it

0 Likes