How can I utilize pre-wired Cat-5 wiring?
BiGbOyLiKeHoY
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I bought a house last year with a Cat-5 and Cable box built into the wall of one of my extra bedroom closets. It looks as though all cables are labeled corresponding to the room it ends in. There is a splitter for the cable as well. I think it was added when the previous owner had satellite tv installed. When I ordered FIOS I was just so excited to have it that I didn't bother asking the VZ Tech to ensure that the data connections in each room worked. Thus he installed the router right behind my computer at the "tech center" of the home. Now I have a PS3, Wii, XBox 360 and a TV that I want to hook up to the connection in the wall downstairs in my living room. Is there an easy enough process that I can enable the connections on my own or do I need to contact VZ to come out again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

0 Likes
Re: How can I utilize pre-wired Cat-5 wiring?
prisaz
Legend

If you have a data port in the wall where the router is located, you would plug one of your LAN ports from the router into that data port. Then in the closet where all the cabled terminate, the ones you what active would all need to be plugged into an Ethernet Switch. Ethernet Switches can be purchased with 4 plus ports. Most residential installs would only need 8 ports. Your closet may have already have a switch. If not here is one online dealer that has examples.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=40&name=Wired-Networking

PS. Also if you only have CAT5, I would go with a 10/100 switch. Gigabit would have issues with CAT5.

BiGbOyLiKeHoY
Enthusiast - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

If you have a data port in the wall where the router is located, you would plug one of your LAN ports from the router into that data port. Then in the closet where all the cabled terminate, the ones you what active would all need to be plugged into an Ethernet Switch. Ethernet Switches can be purchased with 4 plus ports. Most residential installs would only need 8 ports. Your closet may have already have a switch. If not here is one online dealer that has examples.

PS. Also if you only have CAT5, I would go with a 10/100 switch. Gigabit would have issues with CAT5.

Is there a simple way for to find out if my cable is cat5 or cat5e?

I was thinking about placing my wireless router in the closet where everything is located. Is that a possibility? Would it still be a simple change or would that make everything harder? I want to try to keep my "tech" area kinda clean.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

It should be as simple as looking at the cable itself. The plastic sleeve should be marked every couple of feet, assuming you have that much sticking out of your wall or at your data center hookup. 

P.S. Don't assume that any patch cable is made of the same cabling as what's in the walls.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

"Is there a simple way for to find out if my cable is cat5 or cat5e?

I was thinking about placing my wireless router in the closet where everything is located. Is that a possibility? Would it still be a simple change or would that make everything harder? I want to try to keep my "tech" area kinda clean.

Thanks,

Matt"

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

As mentioned in the previous post the cable type should be printed on the cable.

If you have coax to your closet where all you Ethernet wire originates, then moving the router there should work just fine. The only limiting factor could be wireless reception.

0 Likes
BiGbOyLiKeHoY
Enthusiast - Level 1

@BiGbOyLiKeHoY wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

I took a look in the closet and found all ethernet cabling in the walls is CAT5e. Do you think there would be any other way to get the network going to other rooms without having to buy a switch for inside the closet? That would be 2 switches and I'm not sure if I have the room to cram a switch inside the box.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Matt

0 Likes
astro_guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only potential downside of putting the Verizon router into that closet is the impact on the wireless signal.  You may as well just try it and see if you have an acceptable wireless signal anywhere you might want it.  It almost souns as if you don't intend to use the wireless feature, in which case I's still say just try it and see.

0 Likes