shymedq1
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do I get a GPON installing over my current BPON

Re: How come my location dose not have GPON
Hubrisnxs
Legend

BPON: Broadband Passive Optical Network
GPON: Gigabit Passive Optical Network

FiOS networks are built upon Passive Optical Networks.

BPON conforms to the ITU-T G983.1 specification which is capable of 622 Mbps download and 155 Mbps upload. Each BPON fiber is split using an optical splitter to serve 16 or 32 users.

GPON conforms to the ITU-T G984.1 specification. Verizon's GPON implementation uses Gig-E instead of ATM that was used with BPON. A 2.4 Gbps download speed coupled with a 1.2 Gbps upload speed. Each GPON fiber is split to serve 16 or typically 32 users. Verizon's next phase of GPON will support 64 users per fiber.

Verizon is building new networks with GPON technology, while existing BPON systems will only be upgraded when capacity limits are reached.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16202

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@shymedq wrote:

Order the 150/35 or the upcoming 300/65 tier.  If you're on a lower tier, VZ will not upgrade you from BPON to GPON.

prisaz
Legend

@shymedq wrote:

The 611 or 612 ONTs will support perhaps 92/40 so 75/35 should not be an issue until everyone starts over subscribing the BPON and maybe then maybe it will be upgraded. That is just my guess, and perhaps I have some connections outside of this community. I had to talk to a few people to confirm some of this information. It has to do with the ONT and OLT hardware. Theoretically a user could get 622/155 if they took all available bandwidth with no other users on the OLT or fiber. But it is not engineered that way, OLTs and the ONTs are not setup to support it. ONT Ethernet ports, memory cache etc. The ONT 610 had to get upgraded for over 29Mbps upload because of issues where it would only do 35/29, and could not support 35/35.

http://www.tellabs.com/products/library.cfm?find=1600

The 612 no longer shows on the Tellabs website, so those of us that have been supporting the FiOS network are operating on obsolete equipment. Just my opinion as a user. Don't get me wrong, it still works great. I never have issues getting adverized speeds to the Verizon test servers, but when I try to send a large file to a friend on Comcast it slows to 7Mbps, when he gets 25Mbps dowloads from all websites. So do we really get advertized upload speeds? I have an OLD PC with 515megs of ram, and it makes a darn good linux router. Oh yes the upload is an issue regardless or the routers used. I have tried many directlt to the FiOS ONT. TRUE Uploads stay the same for me. So I wonder what gives with the hype.

0 Likes