How do I access a secondary router setup page
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a cisco EAS3500 router attached via ethernet to my Fios 424WR rev 1 router.  My devices work faster on the cisco so all of them connect to it wirelessly.  

192.168.1 brings me to the Fios router page.  How do I access the cisco routers setup page?  I thought putting its IP in would work (192.168.1.3) but no luck.

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I access a secondary router setup page
prisaz
Legend

Too ways.

First disconnect the router from the Verizon Router, and plug your PC into that router following the manufactures instructions. Then if you want them on the same network, change the second routers address to not conflict with the Verizon Router. Then you can try the suggestions below.

1. Disable DHCP on the Cisco, connect LAN on Cisco to LAN on Actiontec. This would put everything on one network and allow the Actiontec to give out the addresses.  But you need to assign the Cisco an address that does not conflict with the Actiontec. 

2. Set the Cisco as the Secondary Network and use 192.168.2.1. Then connect all your internal devices to the Cisco.

3. Your Cisco would be your private Network, and you could actually provide the Actiontec WiFi to house guests. Now I'm not to sure on how that would comply with the WiFi terms of service.

My Actiontec is 192.168.1.1

My Linksys 16646 is at 192.168.2.1 and is connected with its WAN to the actiontec LAN Everything on the Linksys sees the Actiontec stuff but all behind it is protected. My Linksys provides a guest Wifi, but I would rather just use the Actiontec for that.

Good info.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

Trade offs, with links on how to.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

Too ways.

First disconnect the router from the Verizon Router, and plug your PC into that router following the manufactures instructions. Then if you want them on the same network, change the second routers address to not conflict with the Verizon Router. Then you can try the suggestions below.

1. Disable DHCP on the Cisco, connect LAN on Cisco to LAN on Actiontec. This would put everything on one network and allow the Actiontec to give out the addresses.  But you need to assign the Cisco an address that does not conflict with the Actiontec. 

2. Set the Cisco as the Secondary Network and use 192.168.2.1. Then connect all your internal devices to the Cisco.

3. Your Cisco would be your private Network, and you could actually provide the Actiontec WiFi to house guests. Now I'm not to sure on how that would comply with the WiFi terms of service.

My Actiontec is 192.168.1.1

My Linksys 16646 is at 192.168.2.1 and is connected with its WAN to the actiontec LAN Everything on the Linksys sees the Actiontec stuff but all behind it is protected. My Linksys provides a guest Wifi, but I would rather just use the Actiontec for that.

Good info.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

Trade offs, with links on how to.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

A use a slightly different configuration that works for me.

I've set the DNS range on my Actiontec from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254.   All my static IP devices are set to an address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99.

I set my secondary router, which I'm just using as a wifi access point, to an IP address of 192.168.1.50.  

I have wifi from both routers, one at each end of the house, and it just works transparently.

prisaz
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

A use a slightly different configuration that works for me.

I've set the DNS range on my Actiontec from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254.   All my static IP devices are set to an address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99.

I set my secondary router, which I'm just using as a wifi access point, to an IP address of 192.168.1.50.  

I have wifi from both routers, one at each end of the house, and it just works transparently.

That also works well if you have more than one Actiontec router, where you have coax and no Ethernet.  You can use the second router as a MOCA coax bridge and provide Ethernet and Wireless at a second location.

I have my networks spit for security reasons, and to isolate multicast and broadsast traffic. My internal network has Media Center with 12 tuners, and 3-4 extenders, my first network has my MOCA and Verizon VMS and clients. I have 18 DVR  tuners. 12 on two cable cards and six on the new VMS. I believe the VMS is providing a better HD picture.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your system is much more complex than mine but, in any case, I hope one of our suggestions works for the OP.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Connect to your secondary router using WiFi.  Then run a WifI utility such as Fing and look at the IP addresses of all the devices connected to this network.   The address at the top of the list will be your Actiontec router.  Further down the list will be your secondary router.   Once you know its IP you should be able to connect.

If you haven't already done so set the secondary router's LAN IP to the address you want using the administrative screens on the secondary router.  This address must not overlap/conflict with the DHCP pool that the Actiontec router assigns.   For this address and any other static IPs you choose to assign.

I setup my Actiontec to assign addresses 191.168.1.100 -  119  and the router is 192.168.1.1

For my convience I then set other network equipment   in the range 192.168.1.2  - 192.168.1.20

Other devices that I give static IPs  I assign in the range 192.168.1.50  - .70

This way there are no conflicts and just by seeing the IP I have a good idea what type of equipment  I am  looking at.

BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to add to what prisaz said…

Note that a router is designed to partition networks. As such, it will have two IP addresses: one facing the "external" network (i.e., the stuff on the other side of the WAN/Internet port) and one facing your "internal" network (i.e., the stuff plugged into the other ethernet ports on the back of the router along with your WiFi). You'd only be able to access the router's UI using the external-facing IP address if you had enabled "remote configuration" on the router; typically this is disabled by default.

I recommend you configure things as described in the first option prisaz listed. In this instance, you're just using your router as a wireless access point (which is, in all likelihood, all you need). If, after plugging a computer directly into the router and following the manufacturer's initial setup instructions, you're still having problems accessing the UI, you might need to reset the router to its factory default settings. There should be a button (possibly recessed and only accessible with an unbent paperclip or similar) on the bottom or back of the router that you will need to hold down for several seconds, possibly while powering on the router. The finer points of this procedure can vary; again, consult your router's documentation.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have done it both ways, but considering the default port forward, I prefer to have my own network, and not one that has an open door from someone CPE Management system, I Choose to have the first Network partitioned off as Verizon, with their stuff, and the second as my private network. Then you have two NAT tables or routing tables. Can't get past my second router regardless of what might happen to the Actiontec. I used to have the outward facing router as a Linux PC, and my secondary, was my Linksys. But to play nice an in a supported format, in anticipation for the VMS-1100 Quantum TV server and IPC-1100 Clients, I put all where it belongs on the Verizon side, but still have my own little world inside of Verizon's. They see there hardware and my router, and that's it.

Never remote configuration, but the second outward facing router can still manage itself, and the Verizon router. The blocked ports are inbound, unless you DO enable remote management. DON'T DO THAT!

Good luck in whatever you choose. Let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks so much i hope to experiment this evening and I'll post results.
0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
One followup question. My whole reason for doing this is that the cisco router gives me faster internet speed. I have tested this dozens of times between the two devices and the cisco is always better (for background purposes i requested the tech keep my existing router as the internal network all my devices are connected to so I wouldnt have to change everything). I logged on with all my devices from day 1 setup to the original network SSID...now i see two SSIDs and can choose to connect to either and that is how ive been doing my testing. Now that I know I want to stick with the cisco, i want to access its Ui and so here I am.

Now, i dont know why the performance issues...another topic but lets assume its settings or something....should the performance be the same if I reconfigure as per bullet 1 from prisaz above?

Thanks
0 Likes