How do I change FiOS router's SSID & password?
cybertool

FiOS installed today.  Default SSID & password too cumbersome.  How do I change?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How do I change FiOS router's SSID & password?
Justin46
Legend

@cybertool wrote:

FiOS installed today.  Default SSID & password too cumbersome.  How do I change?  Thanks.

Well, you just log into the router and you change them Smiley Very Happy

The actual procedure depends on which router you have, the Actiontec or the Westel. I have an Actiontec, the basic procedure would be:

1) Access the router with your browser: 192.168.1.1

2) Log into the router:  User Name = admin and password = password1 (this is the usual value the Verizon Tech sets. If this doesn't work you probably need to hold the reset button on the back of the router to set it back to the default, then the name will still be admin but the password will be password)

3) On the initial page after login there is an option to change the name and password in the lower left of the screen.

4) To change the SSID, click on the Wireless Settings box near the top of the screen, then Basic Security Settings on the left side, change the SSID, then scroll down and click Apply.

I don't know the procedure for the Westel router.

While you are at it, I highly recommend you consider changing from WEP encryption to at least WPA -  stronger encryption, less likely to be broken, although WPA is not totally secure by any means.

I hope you enjoy FiOS TV, I do.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes