How do I connect fios internet wireless to my laptop???
joey131

I just purchased a refurbished Dell laptop with a bulit in wireless. I already have the verizon fios internet modem in my house. How do I get wireless internet connection through the modem to my recently purchased laptop. What do I do? What are the necessary steps?

0 Likes
Re: How do I connect fios internet wireless to my laptop???
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Provided you haven't made any configuration changes to your wireless network, go look at the  sticker on the bottom of the router and get the SSID and network key off of it (for better security, you really should change these and use a different security method, but it will get you up and running and you can work on the rest later).

On your laptop, do you have a little "wireless" icon in the system tray?   If so open it and look for the network with the SSID which matches the value you found on the router and click "Connect".  It will ask you for a key or password which is the other value you recorded from the sticker.   That should do it.

If you don't have the little wireless icon, got into your control panel and look for wireless network setup.   (You didn't say what OS you're using on your laptop, so YMMV here as each OS is a bit different).   If you let folks here know what you see, someone will be able to post more specific instructions.

joey131

Is the password/network key the WEP key? Or is it the F/W?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

SSID and WEP key. If you are really concerned with security, you may wish to read up on WAP and change the default security setings.

0 Likes
joey131

I'm not concerned with security for now, I just want to know how to connect to the internet through my fios cable modem first. Right now I have no internet access on my laptop. So the password to having online connection is the WEP key, correct?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@joey131 wrote:

I'm not concerned with security for now, I just want to know how to connect to the internet through my fios cable modem first. Right now I have no internet access on my laptop. So the password to having online connection is the WEP key, correct?

Yes. The SSID and WEP key on the sticker attached to the router are what you need. the WEP key is the wireless password.

Now if you are connected and want to access the router to configure it, the passwords would default to password, or password1. Verizon has started to change simple paswords to the router serial number. But for wireless the password is the WEP key.

harrym1

How do I turn my modem back into a wireless modem so I can use with a laptop as well as a desktop PC?

0 Likes