How do I create a Lan connection? My wi-fi is too slow. Need hard wired FIOS
mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've upgraded to 25/25 FIOS. I'm only getting 10-16 on the speed test. I've read that using a hardwire connection instead of wi-fi will bump my speeds up to what I'm paying for. My router is 10 ft away and unobstructed. I've tried changing channels within router settings.

I don't know how to do this. I've connected the CAT6 Lan cable to my PC. I've unplugged my wi-fi receiver. I can't find anything within Windows Vista to help me start a new connection using only the ethernet card.  When my wi-fi stick is plugged in, my internet automatically comes via the wireless Verizon router.

I would prefer to have wi-fi still on while my PC uses ethernet because I use wi-fi for my phone.

Please help! I'm overpaying for what speed I'm getting. I want to get as close to 25/25 as possible.

Thank you very much.

PS. Can anyone help me set up the FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router?? I bought it out of desperation because I wanted the "N" frequency sp...

This is why I'm now trying Lan cable - my last resort.

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
Re: How do I create a Lan connection? My wi-fi is too slow. Need hard wired FIOS
prisaz
Legend

You can open the control panel and go to the Network and Sharing option to disable the wireless. You also may be able to also do this by right clicking on the wireless or network connection in the system tray. If you do not see the Network Connection and Sharing in the control panel, you may need to set the control panel to classic view depending on what Vista version you are running.

Try optimizing your PC by visiting here. Run your speed tests from the Verizon as a start, before testing from any third party site that may not handle the speed. If you are running the 64bit version of Vista you will need to open your web browser by right clicking on it and selecting run as administrator.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

Once you are hardwired and your connection is up and running, try this after running the speed test and seeing what you get hardwired.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedoptimizer/fios/

This is my speed test with 35/35 hardwired.

802.11G on old Dell Laptop.

You should get much better results with wireless N. Be sure your connecting at N speeds. The details should be available with the wirless device your connecting with. I opened my laptop wireless utility and just selected details, which were copied above. This old laptop will not do wireless N.

0 Likes
Re: How do I create a Lan connection? My wi-fi is too slow. Need hard wired FIOS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just take an Ethernet cable (one should have been supplied with the FiOS router) and connect one end to the Ethernet port on your computer, and the other end to one of the four ports on the FiOS router. No setup needed, except to shut off/disconnect from the Wireless when you go hardwired to avoid issues. As long as the FiOS router is on it should be delivering Wi-Fi signals to your home.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plug the able into your computer and the router ... in the SysTray there should be a small icon the represents your "wireless" connection on that computer, typically right clicking on it will give you an option to "turn radio off".   Do that.  This affects the wifi on the computer, not the router -- which is what your phone is using.

Provided the ehternet connection on your computer is known by the system -- which it should be -- the connection should happen automatically.

0 Likes
mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the all the replies. I combined elements of all the answers. My 3 year old VZ router just wouldn't do what it was told in the settings panel. Turning of wireless would freeze it, for example. I got a replacement router with Wireless N.

I got the LAN working first through VZ phone support. They had to reset stuff on their end to activate the internet on the new router. But they couldn't get wi-fi going. I stumbled across the solution accidentally. My wi-fi adapter makes me choose WEP, WPA2, and some other types I can't remember. Even though the router is WPA2, my PC would only connect if I went into some kinda network settings area and chose WPA-personal. EVen though WPA2 was also listed there.

In the end, it was Windows. Go figure.

I entered the long key and now have wi-fi and lan simultaneously. No i'm getting 25/25 over air and 27 or little more over Lan. 

So if anyone's like me don't be afraid to call VZ support. Also,  non-VZ routers SHOULD be plug-and-play but they can't help if it doesn't work. Supposed to be a secret.