How do I get my full 75 mgbs download speed
Greggf1
My service doesn't seem to register higher than 20 mgbs.
I have a new wireless router from Verizon that they recommended I purchase at the cost of $100.
And still can't get the speed.
Things lag and video stutters and lags.
Help
0 Likes
Re: How do I get my full 75 mgbs download speed
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
  • make sure you are using WPA2 (new router should default to that)
  • make sure your wireless device has wireless-n or wireless-ac, otherwise you are limited to about 20 Mbps at best
  • If all your devices support wireless-n, consider setting router to wireless-n only (performance mode)
  • consider change the channel to another value such as 1, 6, or 11.  Most of your neighbors devices end up trying to use the same channel leaving no bandwidth for you to use.
  • make sure you test near the router.  Unfortunatly speed falls of as you move away or because of things in the way.  If works well close, you need to consider moving router, or using multiple access points.
0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3

tns,

do you use the default wpa2 option on your wireless?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kaytabor30 wrote:

tns,

do you use the default wpa2 option on your wireless?

If you want wireless N speed you have to use no security or WPA2.  Yes I use WPA2.

I do however choice my own values for SSID and passphrase on my routers.  I have, regretably, a version F router (must manually change to wpa2 get best speed) in Florida.  A have a version I router in NY.

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3

tns

this is what i'm talking about

4. Enter security key/passphrase.

Use Default Security Key/Passphrase
 Security Key:SD2QBP7P9Q5YGMK3

no moderators this is not my passphase to my wireless lol

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kaytabor30 wrote:

tns

this is what i'm talking about

4. Enter security key/passphrase.

Use Default Security Key/Passphrase
 Security Key:SD2QBP7P9Q5YGMK3

no moderators this is not my passphase to my wireless lol

May look different on the version I (current down in FL and using a version F).   And its doc misleads some to think that only letter and numbers are valid.  A mix of any or the ascii characters are valid including the special symbols.  And upper and lower case characters are considered different.

e.g.   fP70>cY>tQj-?rFb|dr/7<XG_mx-9&GB  (note a use a random generator to produce mine)

0 Likes