How do I know if I’m connected to AP?
NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just upgraded to the G3100. I had a G1100, which I was using in bridge mode and ran my google WiFi mesh system 3 pucks instead. I remove the google setup and only have the G3100 now, but today I did setup my G1100 as an access point, I think. 

How do you know for sure your connected to the AP? I just put it down the hall in my office, but ultimately need to figure out how to move it downstairs because that’s where my WiFi is now weak. 

Downstairs

download - 27.4

upload - 14.8

Upstairs 

download - 463

upload - 206 

I have the gigabyte speed. I do not have Ethernet wired for the house and have the G1100 connected via coax cable, which is why if I move it downstairs I’m not sure how I’ll do it because where I want to put it is no coax. 

Any ideas? I was thinking of buying the E3200 extender but not sure if that’s worth it either. 

0 Likes
Re: How do I know if I’m connected to AP?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will address both questions: how do you know for sure you connected to G1100 instead of G3100; and how do you move G1100 to a location without coax or ethernet.

The answer to the first question is quite convoluted. You can figure out which device is connected to which access point by looking at the My Network page on both the G3100 and the G1100. On that page, check the Connected Devices counts and the Connection Type under each device on the connection list. Depends on how the G1100 is uplinked to G3100, connecting a wireless device onto G3100's access point would cause either the 2.4G or the 5G counter to increase by 1 on G3100, but Ethernet or Coax counter to increase by 1 on G1100, and vice versa. This is not the best way to identify the access point to which the device is connected.

The second question is a tough one. If you cannot connect the G1100 through ethernet or coax, then it is impossible to uplink it to the G3100. E3200's wireless backhaul mode is your last resort and will work for your situation.

Before buying an E3200, let me ask you some questions. Do you have a coax jack downstairs, even if it is currently in-use for the TV? Can you maybe place a long coax cable to reach the desired location for placing the G1100?

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Appreciate your thoughtful response. It’s very helpful, thank you. 

So, I have a Fios one stb down there, but it’s connected via WiFi although there is a coax cable coming out of the wall too I’m pretty sure where all the wires are the other end isn’t even spliced with a connector on it. Originally when I had the wires ran I didn’t have a cable box downstairs. 

Besides that I have no other coax down there. The only other thing I was thinking of is I have a Fios moca adapter where the ont comes off and then it’s a 2 way splitter, but what if I bought a 3 way and just added another piece of coax and put the g1100 right there which is where I want the WiFi anyways.

although, I don’t mind spending the money on the E3200 to be honest. I have a ring camera where my garage is and that was the original reason I bought the google mesh setup to make sure I had a strong connection there. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Configure the G1100 with a different SSID.  Your devices will pick the strongest signal and you can tell by the SSID which one they are using.

As for purchasing a E3200, note that there are a lot of Black Friday deals on mesh networking equipment.  Eero's are on sale on Amazon, TP-Link Deco's are on sale at Costco and bunch of other deals are out there at other sites.  You can by a 3-pack mesh system for about the same, if not less than a E3200.

If you do go with a system that uses WiFi backhaul, make sure it's a tri-band one.  Otherwise one of the bands will be shared with normal traffic for backhaul, reducing bandwidth.

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

The issue is I have Fios TV and specifically running one of them on WiFi and I know there is workarounds but to run it WiFi I need the Fios router. 
By

it’s running now on my g3100. 

I just bought the E3200 from Verizon a few mins ago to see how it does because I think if I connect it wirelessly to the g3100 and put it downstairs I’m hoping I get a stronger signal. 

I am actually not in contract with Fios (just expired on the 20th this month) and am month to month but my discounts do expire and if I renew for 2 years it’s $30 higher a month. Wicked backwards, right?

it’s either Fios or xfinity for me and I’ve honestly been really happy with Fios for the last 8 years (4 here and 4 at my old house).

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

In that case, find a way to connect the E3200 to coax.  It will work best that way, as WiFi backhaul connects to the G3100.  If the G3100's WiFi is weak in the basement, the E3200 will have the same issues with WiFi backhual as you're reporting with general WiFi signals.

So, either add that 3-way splitter and run coax to the E3200 or find the end of the existing cable and stick a connector on it.  Getting it connected to coax will make everything work much better.

As for the FiOS One mini's, they use a hidden 5Ghz network created by Verizon routers.  I've no idea if that network is duplicated by the Verizon extenders.    If they don't the E3200 may not help with your issue.  If that happens, you'll need to figure out how to put the mini on coax or manually set the WiFi network it uses.

Maybe someone else here can comment if Verizon extenders create the hidden 5GHz network the mini's use.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, I guess our discussion here should be declared as MOOT since you bought the E3200.

I personally would buy some tools and get all coax wire spliced and terminated, and put the G1100 where you wanted to be. For surveillance equipment, I recommend you to hardwire everything (not possible for your case perhaps).

If a Verizon technician is coming in to replace the ONT. Great. Kindly ask the technician to splice all the wires and give you a coax splitter with enough ports (6 or 😎 "free of charge." Well, that tech visit actually costs you $99.

NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you all! No tech is actually coming out they are just shipping me the E3200, but I will try to find a way to get it connected via coax. I think I might have some ideas and I’m going to end up needing a 3 way splitter. In the morning I am going to snap some pictures to better explain how it’s set up now where you can see. 

0 Likes
NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so I was just looking and the ONT which is outside of my house has a 3 way MoCa on it but only 2 of the 3 are used. Then, I have right on the other side of where the ONT is and I have these images...

https://ibb.co/pRr4svH  - this is a 2 way MoCa where the ONT coax is going into it and then I have the white coax coming off and going into the back of my g3100. The other black coax I honestly have no clue where that goes. 

I was thinking of putting a 3 way here instead. 

ive got a couple non spliced coax in there and I think one goes to when I had my basement done in case I ever want a tv there they ran coax and hdmi behind the wall. The other I’m not sure where it goes. I’ve got some Ethernet ran too but not spliced and honestly not connected to anything. 

https://ibb.co/dDvY7hr 

0 Likes
NickB2005
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, I’m back! I think I have it figured out now. I finally got my ONT security box open too, first time I’ve opened it. 

https://ibb.co/drYhxqN 

below image of it...

https://ibb.co/dr3wdBH 

So, I swapped out the 3 way splitter outside of the ONT box and used a 2 way splitter instead. 

I took that 3 way and put it inside where it’s connected and then on that 3rd free spot I put a coax and ran it to the G1100 which is in AP mode. 

https://ibb.co/kKx7x4D 

https://ibb.co/gZtDtY6 

I connected the new coax to G1100 and then ran an Ethernet to my MacBook and went to fast.com and got 460 download and 350 upload. 

It seems to be working, which is good because when the E3200 extender comes I can just put it in the same spot and hopefully get better WiFi coverage downstairs where this will now be located. 

0 Likes