How do I set a VPN with my Verizon MI424WR Router?
andytang

What I want to do is have the ability to connect to my home Local Area Network with my android device through a Virtual Private network. I want to be able to access shared files as if I was truly connected directly to the LAN.

Is this possible with VPN or something else?

Note: I am only a little bit knowledgeable about on the whole networking thing. I do know how to port forward and such. So if you can give an suggestions that would be great.

0 Likes
Re: How do I set a VPN with my Verizon MI424WR Router?
Nattan
Enthusiast - Level 3

the easiest way with out messing with any router settings would be teamviewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

You can set it up on the "main pc" and then network to your others from that. and it is actually like being on the pc itself.

if you want to run some type of vpn server on the pc, you could also do that just port forward or use dmz on the specefic ip and make sure you set it as static.

andytang
I know what teamviewer is and that's not what i'm looking for. I really do want to mess around with the router settings. Is the router capable of VPN for my mobile devices to connect to? And if so how so i set it up?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes you can use VPN software behind the actiontec,  you normally just need to set up the software on each machine and then port forward.

The actiontec can not act as a vpn server though

Make sure to use the preconfigured rules, so when you are doing the port forwarding pull the drop down and look for the VPN rules that are already built. 

0 Likes