How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can come back as a New Customer?
Jinxt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm currently paying $102.99/month for 75/75 (Subsidized by a $30 "loyalty discount" to bring the actual bill to $72.99/month). It's making me sick to my stomach seeing that new customers can get double the speed at only an extra couple dollars a month over what I currently pay after being a customer for 15 years (5 years in my current house and 10 years at my previous address).

After chatting with online support it seems there is literally nothing that customer service can do for me unless I cancel my current account and then wait an unspecified amount of time to come back as a "new customer" (apparantly even keeping some or all of my current loyalty discount). Which means since the current 150/150 offer in my area is $89.99/month I can cancel my current $72.99/75/75 account, switching to a competitor with a higher speed at a lower price for a month or two, and then come back to Fios for a HUGE speed boost at either a lower or trivial added expense (making it $59.99 for 150/150 at the lowest end or a trivial $79.99 for 150/150 at the most expensive end).

I'd really rather not have to jump through the hoops, but they won't do anything for me otherwise. I'd have been perfectly happy if they could just step my speed up to 100/100 and keep my bill the same, but if totally canceling and switching to a competitor is literally the only way to be treated well enough so be it.

So how long does it take after canceling my FIOS account before I'm eligible for re-opening the account as a new customer?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can be as a New Customer
jonjones1
Legend

@Jinxt wrote:

I'm currently paying $102.99/month for 75/75 (Subsidized by a $30 "loyalty discount" to bring the actual bill to $72.99/month). It's making me sick to my stomach seeing that new customers can get double the speed at only an extra couple dollars a month over what I currently pay after being a customer for 15 years (5 years in my current house and 10 years at my previous address).

After chatting with online support it seems there is literally nothing that customer service can do for me unless I cancel my current account and then wait an unspecified amount of time to come back as a "new customer" (apparantly even keeping some or all of my current loyalty discount). Which means since the current 150/150 offer in my area is $89.99/month I can cancel my current $72.99/75/75 account, switching to a competitor with a higher speed at a lower price for a month or two, and then come back to Fios for a HUGE speed boost at either a lower or trivial added expense (making it $59.99 for 150/150 at the lowest end or a trivial $79.99 for 150/150 at the most expensive end).

I'd really rather not have to jump through the hoops, but they won't do anything for me otherwise. I'd have been perfectly happy if they could just step my speed up to 100/100 and keep my bill the same, but if totally canceling and switching to a competitor is literally the only way to be treated well enough so be it.

So how long does it take after canceling my FIOS account before I'm eligible for re-opening the account as a new customer?

Over at the Fios forum at http://www.dslreports.com most customers say 30 days.

however if you are married you can just have your wife put the account in her own name. Or a son or other member of the household.

yes it's crazy that people have to dicker over price when if the speed tiers are all priced uniformly then Verizon would keep customers instead of lose them.

it has been reported in Verizon's quarterly report that they are losing Fios and dsl customers. The dsl due to Verizon fazeing it out. The Fios broadband due to price plan fluctuations (just exactly what you are going through now)

View solution in original post

Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can be as a New Customer
jonjones1
Legend

@Jinxt wrote:

Over at the Fios forum at http://www.dslreports.com most customers say 30 days.

however if you are married you can just have your wife put the account in her own name. Or a son or other member of the household.

yes it's crazy that people have to dicker over price when if the speed tiers are all priced uniformly then Verizon would keep customers instead of lose them.

it has been reported in Verizon's quarterly report that they are losing Fios and dsl customers. The dsl due to Verizon fazeing it out. The Fios broadband due to price plan fluctuations (just exactly what you are going through now)

Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can be a New Customer
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is common for most service providers.

They give new customers the best price.

Once they acquire a customer, most won't change.

Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can be a New Customer
phinney5350
Contributor - Level 1

You really have a great price on your services.  I have a Mediacom and there is no other provider available. I have to pay over 160 a month for horrible service.  Plus my income is a retirement income. Sorry, you should just suck it up and pay. Verizon has to make some money to pay employees. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@phinney5350 wrote:

You really have a great price on your services.  I have a Mediacom and there is no other provider available. I have to pay over 160 a month for horrible service.  Plus my income is a retirement income. Sorry, you should just suck it up and pay. Verizon has to make some money to pay employees. 

No one should have to suck it up and just pay. That is what companies want.

i have left a company recently over .33¢ because the company thought they could get away with the below the line cost crap they tried to pull.

if companies made say a one set price tier, they would not have to play let's make a deal to save their customer base. I don't play that game. 

Retired or not (and I am retired) I won't be forced to pay more. Loads of options out there. Sorry in your neck of the woods you don't have real competition yet.

0 Likes
itsjbh
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is what I've found over the years. Zero loyalty to customers. Such a sham when we are paying $170/month So guess what, now switching to the competitor where I get same package for $130/month. Go figure.

0 Likes
Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can come back as a New Custom
BigWillyBurns

I just spoke with a chat customer Rep and they said the system will "Reconsider" an address after 2-3 Months. So I guess the move would be get Comcast for 2-3 Months and then attempt to switch back.  

0 Likes
Re: How long do I have to wait after discontinuing my account before I can come back as a New Custom
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has also been reported that an account in another name will work as well.

If you have a significant other that can get servcie that would work.

Keep in mind that if you go to Comcast, make sure you don't sign up for a contract (they will push you hard with cheap rates) as you will pay ETF to come back.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@BigWillyBurnswrote:

I just spoke with a chat customer Rep and they said the system will "Reconsider" an address after 2-3 Months. So I guess the move would be get Comcast for 2-3 Months and then attempt to switch back.  

It doesn’t have to be that long. Over at DSL Reports http://www.dslreports.com 

their is a thread that says 30 days. In fact Verizon will start asking you to come back in about a week with their kind offers (cough cough) 

just make sure whom ever you may want to get new service at your address can pass a credit check.

0 Likes
Arnold4

If you move the account to your wife’s name can phone numbers stay on the account?

0 Likes