Re: How many Ports are too Many? (switch question)
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

When I did this I just bought bulk cat 6 cable from Lowes.  It came in a big box with I think something like a 500 foot roll that I just cut off what I needed and teminated it myself

I dont know about where you live but here in southern California, ethernet cable is easy to come by.  Lowes, Home Depot, Fry's electronics, even Radio Shack all have it in abundance

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tqlla3k wrote:

30 runs!  thats crazy.  How big is the house?  Where are you buying the cables from?   

I am running into the same problem as you... though, without as many ethernet outlets.  I currently have 6 outlets and am planning on adding 8 more runs of Cat5e(monoprice was sold out of the Cat6, and I needed the cables immediately). 

I purchased a 16 port unmanaged 10/100 Dlink switch for $55 and have hooked it up to my Verizon MI424WR router, using a crossover cable.    I get link lights, but I am not getting IP addresses.  Does anyone have any idea why?

What is the model switch?

When you plug each cable one by one into the Verizon router does the router issue IP addresses?

It would help to know if it was the Dlink switch or the cable terminations. Trying to narrow down where the problem is located.

Did you purchase preterminated cables or do it yourself? If the pairs are not terminated properly you could get a link light but no blinky blinky.

0 Likes
tqlla3k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.  I am using the Dlink DSS-16+ switch and the Verizon MI424WR wireless router.

It is a 16 port 10/100 unmanaged switch. I am using a homemade crossover cable.  I guess I could jsut build another cable to see if it works. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tqlla3k wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I am using the Dlink DSS-16+ switch and the Verizon MI424WR wireless router.

It is a 16 port 10/100 unmanaged switch. I am using a homemade crossover cable.  I guess I could jsut build another cable to see if it works. 

Most newer switches and I believe the Verizon supplied router will do an auto uplink and a crossover is not required. Try a standard cable.

VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

tqlla3k wrote:" I am using a homemade crossover cable.  I guess I could just build another cable to see if it works"

tqlla3k, prisaz is correct no need for a crossover cable. Just use a pre-made straight through patch cord. Let us know. Brett

tqlla3k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help guys.  I will try it tonight. I Have been busy with other goofy projects around the house lately.

0 Likes
tqlla3k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sweet.  The regular uplink cable worked.  Now I need a ladder, to run the rest of my cables.

Thanks all for the help

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Excellent glad to hear!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@tqlla3k wrote:

Sweet.  The regular uplink cable worked.  Now I need a ladder, to run the rest of my cables.

Thanks all for the help

Good to hear.

You are welcome.

Mark

0 Likes