How often does Verizon update DNS?
JoeCarver

How often - How quickly,  does Verizon update it's DNS servers?

The reason that I must ask is that I have just changed wevhosts and cannot connect to my new host.

It has been over one hour now and I am dead in the water because I cannot connect!!!

Yes, before you reply  -  I have checked using network-tools.com  and my site is in public dns

www.josephcarver.com.

How long should I wait before looking at alternative DNS?

I am on the North Shore of Massachusetts - the delay is unbearable.

0 Likes
Re: How often does Verizon update DNS?
Justin46
Legend

@JoeCarver wrote:

How often - How quickly,  does Verizon update it's DNS servers?

The reason that I must ask is that I have just changed wevhosts and cannot connect to my new host.

It has been over one hour now and I am dead in the water because I cannot connect!!!

Yes, before you reply  -  I have checked using network-tools.com  and my site is in public dns

www.josephcarver.com.

How long should I wait before looking at alternative DNS?

I am on the North Shore of Massachusetts - the delay is unbearable.

I can't answer your question, but I can get to your site just fine, using OpenDNS. I switched a year + ago and have never looked back - better and more consistent performance, very reliable, optional filtering with a free account, etc.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JoeCarver

Nevermind I have now just called Verizon "Tech Support" and they don't know!

To quote: " It happens fom time to time"

When he was asked "should I get OPEN DNS?

Answer: "yeah, you can go ahead and do that"

Nice, real nice............

Lesson learned - warning to those who might be hosting a web site and change servers + hosts

"yeah, you can go ahead and do that"

0 Likes
JoeCarver

Sorry Jason but I had "the other guys"  a few years back and did not need to add additional services to my own equipment to get some basic performance from the vendor/ISP.  They appeared to update within the hour so I did not have to spend my time installing something else (although losing the crappy redirect will be nice......)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JoeCarver wrote:

Sorry Jason but I had "the other guys"  a few years back and did not need to add additional services to my own equipment to get some basic performance from the vendor/ISP.  They appeared to update within the hour so I did not have to spend my time installing something else (although losing the crappy redirect will be nice......)

Since no one else has posted I presume you were replying to me (Justin) Smiley Very Happy

I'm sorry, but I have no clue what you are saying there. I used Verizon's DNS for maybe 4 years, worked reasonably well but occasionally was late being updated, just occasionally started refusing to find sites for no apparent reason, etc. So since I had heard long ago about OpenDNS, tried it, not a failure of any kind that I know of, and seems faster to me than Verizon. And no cost, just had to put the DNS addresses in each of my NICs, done. I did sign up for the free account, get some filtering help, etc that might keep me out of trouble.

By the way, when I go to your site I cannot see the Flash. I use Firefox and have flash blocked, but when I unblock it whatever is there appears to run but I don't see anything. I don't have any problems seeing Flash objects on other sites. Just thought I would let you know, maybe the problem is on my end.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JoeCarver wrote:

Nevermind I have now just called Verizon "Tech Support" and they don't know!

To quote: " It happens fom time to time"

When he was asked "should I get OPEN DNS?

Answer: "yeah, you can go ahead and do that"

Nice, real nice............

Lesson learned - warning to those who might be hosting a web site and change servers + hosts

"yeah, you can go ahead and do that"

It's a combination of things.

First it depends how fast your hosting isp issues a DNS push to send out your new address and then it's dependant on how fast the push trickles through all the dns servers in the world.  I believe if you check with your hosting isp they will say it can take up to 24 hours to propogate around everywhere.  You could use one of your hosting isp's dns servers as your primary dns server and then you should see the chnages virtually immediately, however that could slow down other access slightly as it might be slower to reach than a near at hand verizon server.