How to Configure FIOS Router for Local MySQL Server
Crabhead
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switched to FIOS and my router was replaced with the FIOS router.  I have not been able to  set up the new router to enable traffic on port 3306 between my local machines to support MySQL.    Of course, FIOS customer support considers this issue outside of their domain.

I have modified my connections to agree with the new ip addresses the FIOS router assigns and enabled 3306 to pass traffic in every way I could find to do this on the FIOS router. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Configure FIOS Router for Local MySQL Server
Crabhead
Enthusiast - Level 1

You and Smith were both correct.  There is nothing required at the router.   The actual proble was in fact related to the different IP addresses that were assigned by the router.  I simply forgot all the places that are dependent upon the IP address in my MySQL configuration:

1. The server had to be changed to bind the the new IP addres in /etc/mysql.conf

2. Several MySQL based programs had to be modified to connect to the new server address.

3. GRANT had to be invoked by MySQL root for each user on the new host IP addresses.

Since you suggested that IP addresses  needed to be looked at, I am crediting your post with the solution.   Thanks.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No additional configuring should be needed on the FiOS routers to run a server on your network and to have other PCs on your network reach the server. The only thing you needed to configure anything for would be if you were to run a MySQL server that is being reached from another computer out on the Internet; that would be Port Forwarding.

I assume you've done the basic ping checks to the computer hosting your MySQL database, correct? If it can be pinged, it should be reachable.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

As smith6612 stated, there is nothing that needs to be configured on the router to allow your local machines to reach your MySQL server.  Make sure all the machines have been rebooted and have 192.168.1.x addresses.

Crabhead
Enthusiast - Level 1

You and Smith were both correct.  There is nothing required at the router.   The actual proble was in fact related to the different IP addresses that were assigned by the router.  I simply forgot all the places that are dependent upon the IP address in my MySQL configuration:

1. The server had to be changed to bind the the new IP addres in /etc/mysql.conf

2. Several MySQL based programs had to be modified to connect to the new server address.

3. GRANT had to be invoked by MySQL root for each user on the new host IP addresses.

Since you suggested that IP addresses  needed to be looked at, I am crediting your post with the solution.   Thanks.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over eight years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes