Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed
stimpy47
Enthusiast - Level 1

I read a few of the posts here.. Most of you are saying that only "wired" connections are best and that wireless will vary.  The only thing i have to say to that is, why when i had the lower package (the one they don't offer anymore) I was able to sit in this room on my laptop, play on my iphone and ipod at the same time using wireless...

NOW that my two yr contract is up, and they upped the speed (cause my old speed is not available anymore) It sucks.. Nothing changed.. I'm still sitting on the same couch using the same wireless things and the connection dies a few times a day. I have to sit here and wait for the wi-fi to reconnect.    Can't blame the router cause it's the same one as i had for the last two years, can't blame the walls of the house because i did not move the router or add another wall in my house.. so you really can't blame us for complaining.. something isn't right

And like one person says.. The commercial where they were pushing the Quantum speed shows everyone on a wireless device.. yeah right.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a thought on the art of commercial making: there is a factor of aesthetics being used in a commercial. It should be implied these days that an ISP will try to provide a means of connecting up wireless devices. Having someone hold a laptop or a smartphone with cables coming out of it does not look too nice. The fact does remain true though, that a Wired connection will usually perform better than a Wireless connection. There is no getting around that. In wireless crowded neighborhoods like mine, good luck getting decent speeds or a 100% solid connection with all the noise at night and on weekends. We don't even get reliable LTE service here due to how crowded the spectrum is for even that.

0 Likes
techology

I have (currently getting rid of 8/16/13) FiOS internet 75/35 and it works great if you are wired. Now people say that wireless connections will be slower then wired. This was the case a few years ago before wireless really got perfected to what it is today. Now I was getting those speeds when wired without any problems other then when it would slow down now and again for no rhyme or reason. But the best I could get out of this **bleep**y fios router was 30mb wireless which translates to about 5MB/sec for actual DL speeds. Now for me that's slow when I am use to getting 10MB/sec from the advertised 75mbs speeds I was getting wired. This in turn made me drop the FiOS service....Now before you say why didn't you just get another router and run off of that, TRIED it. The fios router/modem wouldn't let me run off any other router. I know your saying im crazy but I spent time on the phone with fios and linksys trying to get my router to work.....nothing would get it working.....Just thought I would through my two cents into this already crowed forum about slow {word filter avoidance} fios...

0 Likes
paulsur

10/100 - Don't they sell those in the Smithsonian museum of history?

0 Likes
alzeller1

Ok listen up. I'm good with computers (software and driver updates and stuff), but not with networking. Anyways, after running this tool, the torrent I was downloading while running the tool boosted in download speeds up to 700kb! Before it was about 300kb/s. And I didn't even need to restart my computer! ^.^ Thanks ^.^

0 Likes
gkraus

Why is it that my wifes Dell insiron laptop get 75/35 speeds on our new FIOS wireless and my Dell Vostro 1 foot away from hers, never gets better tan 38/35?   I have a 802.11n card.   I get 75/35 +/- when directly wired.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gkraus wrote:

Why is it that my wifes Dell insiron laptop get 75/35 speeds on our new FIOS wireless and my Dell Vostro 1 foot away from hers, never gets better tan 38/35?   I have a 802.11n card.   I get 75/35 +/- when directly wired.

Check the wireless cards that are installed in both machines. Not all 802.11n hardware is the same, and each are sold with different performance levels. Perhaps you've heard the marketing phrases "Up to 65Mbps, Up to 150Mbps, Up to 300Mbps" etc. It's very much possible the Inspiron has a more capable card, or the Vostro has a driver setting that is degrading performance.

0 Likes
m1a1armor
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why is verizon responsible for your equipment and the building materials in your home/apartment.  You cant guarantee wireless speeds because there are too many factors involved.  Buy quality equipment and stop blaming the carrier

ImAdummy

great post but not all that..I was forced into a 15/5 speed fios 2 months ago and everytime I check I'm only getting 13.8 download speeds and I'm running a intel 1 gig nic at full duplex with a Hazwell 4670k chip....and had to keep my old m1424mr routerwhen I upgraded....I know the speed is all done at the office but a 2 year old router should have been upgraded for a 3 times faster speed in my book.... when I had 5/3 speed yes I was getting 6.3 download but the new speed isn't as promised boooo on verizon

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ImAdummy wrote:

great post but not all that..I was forced into a 15/5 speed fios 2 months ago and everytime I check I'm only getting 13.8 download speeds and I'm running a intel 1 gig nic at full duplex with a Hazwell 4670k chip....and had to keep my old m1424mr routerwhen I upgraded....I know the speed is all done at the office but a 2 year old router should have been upgraded for a 3 times faster speed in my book.... when I had 5/3 speed yes I was getting 6.3 download but the new speed isn't as promised boooo on verizon

The router isn't the problem. At 15/5 even the old Wireless G routers would suffice. I'd be willing enough to say a Wireless B router, with how little power those had, would give you the throughput while wired in (obviously not Wirelessly).

If you're not seeing what you should be even in the early morning hours, ask Verizon to double check your provisioning to make sure it's set to 15M/5M.

0 Likes