quick menu

How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed

How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed

SOLVED
Copper Contributor Sarsfield
Copper Contributor
Message 21 of 99
(38,393 Views)

I am convinced that you cannot use the Actiontec as your wireless hub.  I never got close to my contract speeds with only the supplied router.  Simply buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

I am getting my advertised speeds wirelessly with an Asus RT-N56U on a consistent basis.

Copper Contributor ShawnWCummings
Copper Contributor
Message 22 of 99
(38,183 Views)

I'm getting Fios this week.  I currently have Comcast's 100/10 internet package - but thought I'd share my high-speed experience, and how I got the speeds I was paying for.

With the 100/10 package, I was connected from the cable modem to my consumer router and then hard wired to my Macbook.  Speed tests would be about 20-28M, when they should have been 100M.  I tried (3) different brand routers, all producing the same results.  The last 2 consumer routers were GigE routers.

I spoke to some network friends of mine, who weren't surprised that consumer grade routers couldn't do 100M.

So I took a spare PC I had, and installed (2) GiGE cards... Using SmoothWall I turned it into a homemade router.  So now my chain of devices was cable modem to SmoothWall to GigE switch to Macbook.  Now I get MAXIMUM speeds.

Although, wireless is still a choke point.  I dangle the wireless router off the switch, and still get about 15M.  But my wired devices have full access to my bandwidth.

Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I
Message 23 of 99
(38,160 Views)

I like IP Cop with Dan'S guardian loaded. But if you are signing up for 150/65 there should be no issues with the Verizon supplied GigE router when hard wired.

Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 24 of 99
(38,152 Views)

Sarsfield wrote:

... buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

I am getting my advertised speeds wirelessly with an Asus RT-N56U on a consistent basis.

Ditto using an Asus RT-N16:

FiOS Network Installation.JPG

Contributor plmariusz1
Contributor
Message 25 of 99
(37,478 Views)

Question: I recently upgraded my internet to 50/25mbp/s and the download speed is terrible. By download speed I dont mean the speed on the speedtest, I'm reffering to a speed in "download window" (ctrl+j speed is highlighted in yellow color) It used to be 1.8MB/s on WIRELESS now I can hardly get 1.0MB/s on wired.

I posted my question here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Slow-speed/m-p/527313#M34720

wtfff.PNG

Contributor Joe-Lpool
Contributor
Message 26 of 99
(37,251 Views)

I have noticed very slow FiOS Internet speed in the evenings after 5 PM, since Monday 1/21. In the early morning speed is good and fast like it's supposed to be. Opened a Verizon ticket and worked trough troubleshooting for about 2 hours. The tech recommended a new router. I received it and installed it on Sun 1/28. Same issue. Good service in the early AM, Verizon pages and email access VERY SLOW and  time-out in the evening PM hours. I'm in Liverpool just outside of Syracuse. Anyone else seeing this?

Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I
Message 27 of 99
(37,240 Views)

I am hearing a lot of people out of NY,   I think they have an outage that is going on out that way,   

Contributor smrtech
Contributor
Message 28 of 99
(37,216 Views)

Yep, consistent with what I see in PA.  I was testing all day on Sunday and I was happy.

After dinner time, it went to dirt.  Guess all the Netflix and Amazon streaming kills things

badly.  Shouldn't be the case, but that's the way it appears.

Contributor Sanctus
Contributor
Message 29 of 99
(37,162 Views)

Interesting that there is such a widespread issue vis a vis the supplied ActionTec router and the connection speeds.   In my case, I just upgraded to 50/25 from 15/5 and while the upload speeds will go up to 25, the download speeds never go above 20 and they usually hover between 15-17, the same speed I had before the upgrade.  Mind you this is on a clean Windows 7 PC with no third party software connected with a 10/100/1000 GB NIC with a Cat 6 cable.   When I take the same PC to my friend's house in LI, I clock the speeds at about 60 down and 35 up.   I have already spoken with Verizon and they throttled up my connection to 50/35, but the download speeds never go over 20 and usually remain at 15-17.  They seem to think it is the router which is possible, but I suspect that the Network Interface at my house and\or on the Telephone pole could have something to do with it.   They are sending me a new router, so I'll see what happens.

Contributor Arysta
Contributor
Message 30 of 99
(37,020 Views)

I am convinced that you cannot use the Actiontec as your wireless hub.  I never got close to my contract speeds with only the supplied router.  Simply buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

This is the solution.  All day long.  The Actiontec routers don't support 802.11n, so you're handcuffed to 802.11g speeds.  Thoeretically, g speeds are supposed to reach 54mpbs, but they never go that fast for a variety of reasons.  You'll get up to maybe 27mpbs if you don't have much interference with which to deal.  Of course, there's no point in getting an n router if your devices can only see the g standard, so check that out before buying anything new.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
My Fios App

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Add or Change Plan
  • Suspend My Service
  • Apps

Support

Watch Fios