How to I connect my Actiontec to my ethernet LAN
CLK02127

I have a LAN that is mixed ethernet and wireless. My ethernet devices are connected through a Linksys 5 port workgroup hub and my wireless devices are connected through a Linksys WAP610N. Prior to getting FIOS for internet I lived in a location where I could get DSL. I was easily able to add in the DSL modem.

Now my LAN and my Actiontec are in two different rooms. Do I need to add a wireless router to my network or would I be better off replacing my current hub and access point with something like the Linksys E1000?

0 Likes
Re: How to I connect my Actiontec to my ethernet LAN
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Do you happen to have coax running to the room where your Linksys router is located, maybe feeding a TV?

If so, the easiest way to connect your Linksys to your Actiontec might be using that coax and a MoCA adapter such as the Actiontec ECB2500C:

http://www.actiontec.com/251.html

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@CLK02127 wrote:

Do I need to add a wireless router to my network

Even if you added a wireless router, you would still need to get a cat5 connection from the Actiontec to your router and that wouldn't buy you anything more than what you have with your current WAP. 

Or use Eljefe's suggestion of using MOCA (coax) to extend your LAN from the Actiontec to your WAP.

0 Likes
CLK02127

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have coax running anywhere in my home.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@CLK02127 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have coax running anywhere in my home.

You could try a powerline adapter between your Actiontec and Linksys routers, but my take is you'll need to run Ethernet cable between the two devices to get the type performance you're looking for.

0 Likes