How to add 2nd router/switch for 3rd floor
tshwartzri
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello

I have an old 3 floor house. There is wired ethernet to most rooms on the first two floors. I need to add more connectivity on the third floor. There is wired ethernet going to my study on the 3rd floor, but no other rooms. What is the best solution to add both wireless connectivity to the rest of the 3rd floor, as well as having more wired connections in my study on the 3rd floor.

Presently I have an Actiontec Fios supplied Router on the 1st floor connect via RJ45 to a an Apple TV, Roku Soundbridge, and an 8 port switch in the basement. The 8 port switch goes to the rest of the 1st floor and 2nd floor, and just one room on the 3rd floor. On the 3rd floor I need to connect my laptop, network laser printer and xbox, plus provide some wireless (current router on 1st floor does not cut it)

What do people recommend for hardware and settings to solve my issue on the 3rd floor?

Thanks

Ted

Re: How to add 2nd router/switch for 3rd floor
lswartz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would just add a wirelss router connected via the cat 5 cable in you study on the 3rd floor. You can then connect to the new router with cat 5 or wireless.

tshwartzri
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any recommendations, and what settings should I use?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@tshwartzri wrote:

Any recommendations, and what settings should I use?

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router

0 Likes